Auto Directions to Alfred
Visit the Driving Directions page for turn-by-turn instructions from nearby cities or enter your address and select your destination:
Bus Service to Alfred
Shortline provides Friday and Sunday services both to and from Alfred and major travel hubs including New York City, Binghamton, Elmira, (Elmira Corning Regional Airport), and Corning.
Tickets can be purchased at Megabus.com.
2021 - 2022 Non-stop Express Bus Schedule
- Departure from Alfred to New York City on Friday, March 11 at 2 p.m.
- Departure from New York City to Alfred will be the regular Sunday Coach bus run leaving NYC Sunday, March 20 at 10:15 a.m.
- Departure from Alfred to New York City at 7:45 a.m. on Friday, May 13 from West University St.
- Departure from Alfred to New York City at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, May 15 from West University St.
- Mandatory face mask is required. Bus will be loaded at 50% occupancy. No guests.
- Students must buy online. No walk-ups available.
- Purchase tickets online today!
Note: We are working with the bus company to identify return times in November. Please check back for updated information.
Additional bus service is available by Trailways with a stop in Hornell that requires an additional car or bus ride for the additional 20 minutes to campus. See Hornell Area Transit (HAT) website for details.
Air Travel to Alfred
Rochester International Airport -Served by all major airlines and is approximately 1.5 hours from campus. Over time, our students have learned that the Rochester Airport most commonly offers the best balance of geographic convenience, flight options, and price. In order to help connect our students with this airport to make air travel an option, we offer a Rochester Airport Shuttle on dates consistent with the express bus services mentioned above.
For more information on the Rochester Airport Shuttle, dates of departures and returns, and how to request transportation, please visit our Rochester Airport Shuttle tab below.
Alternative airport options: students can access flights to both the Buffalo or Corning/Elmira airports. However, please note that the college does not supply airport shuttles to these airports and students choosing to book itineraries to these airports shall make their own arrangements to reach campus (e.g. friends, family, hired driver service). Buffalo is served by all major airlines (approximately 2.25 hours from campus. Elmira is only served by Delta, United, and Allegiant with limited flights and connecting airports (approximately 1.5 hours from campus.)
Campus and Area Shuttle Buses
The free campus shuttle is available every school day for students to utilize around the loop road in Alfred. There are also free shuttle buses for students attending classes on the Wellsville campus. Another shuttle provides service from the Alfred campus to the college farm, motorcycle technology and veterinary technology. Hours of operation for the free campus shuttles can be found on the ACES website.
Getting around our area (Hornell, Wellsville, immediate region)
In Allegany County (e.g. Wellsville Village): Access Allegany has several scheduled bus routes throughout Allegany County. Schedules are posted on the Access Allegany Web site. You may contact them by phone 585-593-1738.
Students Arranging a Bus Trip
Use the ACES bus request form (pdf) to request bus service for your club or organization.
Livery Services (taxi, Uber, Lyft)
Services in our rural region are limited. Please consult your preferred ride-share service or search for livery options in advance before relying them to be available on demand (as might be normal in urban areas).
New Local Shuttles for Students
Students are able to get to Tinkertown Hardware and Dollar General along with Wegmans/Walmart on Saturdays. See ACES website for complete details.
Weekly Shopping Trips
Students may enjoy free shopping shuttles to the Wegmans/ Wal-Mart Plaza in Hornell on Saturdays. Catch the shopping shuttle from any bus stop on campus by showing your Alfred State ID. No large purses or backpacks are allowed on the bus. See ACES website for complete details.
International and Out-Of-State Travel
Alfred State will provide transportation service to Rochester International Airport from Alfred State for international and out-of-state students. For information dates available and on requesting help with transportation, please visit our Rochester Airport Shuttle page.
If students fly into other airports in New York State, they must use alternative transportation services for travel to Alfred State. These services may include Trailways Bus, taxi, or friend. Alfred State students can also pay to reserve a seat on the Luxury Limos shuttle. We also recommend that students look at the options listed on the campus Student Life Livery Service Page that is referenced at the top of this page to see if there are other transportation options.
For departure at Greater Rochester International Airport the driver outside will drop the student off at the proper airline terminal. For departure, students will be notified by Residential Services of departure plans (location and time) from Alfred State.
Rochester Airport Shuttle
Alfred State Rochester Airport Shuttle to Rochester International Airport will only operate during periods of campus closings and openings and its primary purpose is to provide long term planning opportunity for out-of-state and international students for the start of the semester arrivals and end of the semester departures from Rochester International Airport exclusively.
Guidelines of the Rochester Airport Shuttle:
- The Rochester Airport Shuttle only serves the Rochester international Airport, for other departure locations please see the Alternative airport options section in the Air Travel to Alfred tab on this page.
- Request for transport must coincide with the days offered
- Requests for transport must be made 2 weeks prior to departure or arrival dates provided. Online travel request form
- Arrival pickup times at the Rochester International Airport will be at 9 p.m. each day.
- Departures from Alfred to Rochester International Airport in 6 a.m. each day.
- Requests are not finalized until you receive a confirmation email that you have secured a seat in the transport.
- There are limited available in any transit vehicle, space is on a first request bases until filled.
Spring Semester Dates 2022
Classes begin | Jan. 24, 2022
Return to Campus
- Monday, Jan. 17, 2022
- Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022
Commencement | May 14, 2022
Depart from Campus
- Saturday, May 14, 2022
- Sunday, May 15, 2022
Fall Semester Dates 2022
Classes begin | Monday, Aug. 29, 2022 (anticipated)
Tentative return to campus
- Monday, Aug. 22, 2022 (anticipated)
- Thursday, Aug. 25, 2022 (anticipated)