Alfred State offers a listing of currently available jobs for students through the online Job Link. There are many opportunities to earn pay on campus in areas such as dining services, academic departments, the Library, Admissions Office, Office of Student Engagement, Residential Life, and Athletics. Some positions require work study eligibility, others do not. See below for details.
ACES (Auxiliary Campus Enterprises and Services)
ACES hires many students to support the Dining Services operations as well as the Campus Stores. Please contact the manager of the unit where you would like to work. A work schedule that complements your academic schedule is important, so make sure to bring your schedule and be ready to start. Employment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are only accepted when students are on campus.These positions are available regardless of financial aid. Contact a unit hiring manager for more information, or contact the main business office:
Administrative Offices/Central Dining Hall
Office of Admissions
The Admissions Office hires Student Ambassadors as Tour Guides, Student Callers, and Student Hosts. Tour guides conduct weekly campus tours; Student Hosts accommodate prospective students overnight; and Student Callers contact prospective students on the telephone.
Student Ambassadors are dynamic leaders in the college community and in the classroom and help provide a lasting impression of the college. The student ambassador position is a highly prestigious position on campus that allows students to build valuable career skills like problem-solving, public speaking, and communication. It also provides another outlet for being involved on campus. As an added bonus, you will earn some extra spending money!
See our Intranet page for more information and to apply (login required).
Office of Student Engagement
The Office of Student Engagement has several year-round positions students can apply for. Below are positions offered within the department. Students may view Alfred State's JobLink to see what work study positions are available and how to apply for them. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
- Leadership Assistants (Student Leadership Center)
- Office Managers
- Graphic Design Interns (channel 3)
- Late Night Events Staff (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evening positions)
- Orientation Leaders (summer position)
Civic Engagement and Student Leadership Programs
Civic Engagement Advocates: Organize outreach efforts, events, and awareness campaigns to connect students, faculty, and staff to civic engagement opportunities on campus and in the community, including service-learning courses, community service events, food drives, fundraisers, public rallies, and much more.
For an application, contact Jonathan Hilsher, director of civic engagement, by email email@example.com or phone 607-587-4077.
Ever consider using your residence hall experience to build your resume? Take advantage of leadership opportunities right within your own living area. For more information about opportunities for residential student staff positions, contact Residential Life at 607-587-4326.
Resident Assistants: Serve as a real "community builder" and role model/resource person for 12-25 people on your floor and get paid too! Build a strong community on your floor by sponsoring educational and social programs. Enforce college policies. Maintain a healthy, safe, and secure environment for your residents.
FRESH Program Offerings: Residential student staff are required to participate in in-service training during their entire tenure.
Students may view Alfred State's JobLink to see what positions are available and how to apply for them. For more information about Work Study employment, you may contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office by phone 607-587-4253 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of departments who hire Work Study employees and the types of positions and associated job duties available at Alfred State:
- Agriculture and Veterinary Technology
- Landscape Assistants - Assist with grounds maintenance and winterizing
- Office Assistants - Aid department instructors with copying, filing, setting up labs
- Student Callers - Request donations via the telephone from alumni and parents
- Assistants - Provide clerical help and/or aid in the set-up/cleanup of games
- Computer Center
- Help Desk Technicians - Staff the help desk, assist user support technicians, provide laptop hardware and software support
- Lab Associates - Monitor open computer labs on campus
- Horse Caretaker - Feed, water, exercise the farm's horses
- Assistant Herdsman - Perform many duties involved in the daily operation of the farm, includes milking and feeding of the dairy cows
- Financial Aid
- Peer Tutors - Assist students and/or parents with the financial aid process; also involves general clerical responsibilities
- Circulation Assistant - Check in, out, and re-shelve library materials to the general college population and the local community
- Management and Engineering Technology
- Lab Assistants - Set up labs and prepare handouts
- Technicians - Complete minor equipment repairs
- Clerical - General office responsibilities such as copying, typing, filing
- Physical and Life Sciences
- Lab Assistant - Assist in biology and chemistry labs by washing glassware and lab tables
- Office of Student Engagement
- Activities Managers - Responsible for the management of student lounges
- Wellsville Campus
- Office Assistant - Answer telephone, copy, file
- Maintenance Assistant - Mow lawns, prune shrubs, remove trash, paint, light carpentry, snow removal
- Cleaner - Mop dining hall, remove trash, general cleaning responsibilities
- Activities Manager - Supervise activities center during lunch hour and late afternoons