Researching Financial Aid

This page contains links to outside websites which can help you through the financial aid process.

  • The Federal Student Aid website contains resources to help you research and apply for Federal Aid and manage your student loans. Use the Federal Student Aid Estimator to receive an early estimate of your Student Aid Index (SAI) and eligibility for federal student aid. You can also view detailed information about the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) so you know what to expect before you begin.
  • The HESC (Higher Education Services) website contains resources to help you research and apply for the NYS TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) Grant and other NYS Scholarships. You can log into your account to check the status and make any changes such as your school code or mailing address.
  • Visit NY's 529 College Savings Program website to view questions and answers about New York State's College Savings Program.
  • The IRS can answer your tax questions pertaining to education tax credits, IRAs, student loan interest deductions, and tax law changes.
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs can provide information on VA education benefits. If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for certain Department of Defense financial assistance or Post-9/11 GI Bill® transfer of service benefits.
  • The SUNY Student Loan Service Center can give you information on the servicing of your Nursing Loans after you leave Alfred State.
  • This College Navigator website provides selected data from over 7,000 postsecondary institutions. It offers a wide range of information including programs offered, retention and graduation rates, financial aid available, cohort default rates (CDR), campus safety, accreditation, and estimated student expenses. Users can build a list of schools for side by side comparison, use an interactive map to pinpoint the schools location and export information into a spreadsheet.

Important Note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at