Bill Processing Checklist

Have you filed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and completed your TAP application (Tuition Assistance Program for NYS residents only)?

Have you accepted your financial aid and completed any outstanding requirements? Federal Direct Loans must be accepted if you wish to use the funds as a credit on your bill.  Depending on the type of financial aid you are eligible for, a standard set of requirements may also need to be met before the aid can be obtained. Visit and select the "Accept Aid" and "Outstanding Requirements" icons to get started. Payment of the bill before financial aid is processed will likely result in a refund when your financial aid is received.

Are you receiving funding outside of Alfred State?  Proof of outside funding sources not listed on the bill must be provided in order to show as a credit on your semester bill.

Are you registered for classes? Part-time students are billed per credit hour, so all classes must be scheduled before you can process your bill. If your bill indicates you are full-time and you want to be part-time, you will need to notify the Student Records and Financial Services Office before processing your bill. Visit for more information regarding class registration. Please note, new first-year students will be registered by the Academic Advising Center their first semester.

Have you paid any holds from previous terms? You will not be allowed to register for classes if you owe more than $1,500 for a previous term, or more than $125 in outstanding parking tickets. Current-term financial aid cannot be used to pay a prior aid-year balance of more than $200.

Have you been billed for room and meal charges, but are planning to live off campus? Room and meal charges may not be removed without an approved housing waiver on file in the Office of Residential Services. These changes must be completed before you process your bill. Contact the Office of Residential Services at 1-800-4-Alfred or 607-587-4326 with any questions.

Process your bill early to allow time to correct possible errors.  Visit to view and process your semester bill.  You will need to process your bill even if no balance is due.  If you owe a balance, we offer many payment options including a Monthly Payment Plan.  If you mail payment, please include a copy of the bill signed by the student.  Please note that we cannot accept payments over the telephone. Please allow several days for processing if you mail or wire your payment.

Have you decided not to attend Alfred State?  If your college plans have changed and you will not be enrolling, it is your responsibility to notify the Student Records and Financial Services Office in writing (include your student ID) that you will not be attending. Notification must be received prior to 4 p.m. on final registration day. Students who withdraw after final registration day must complete an official withdrawal form and return it to the Student Records and Financial Services Office even if you did not attend any classes. The official withdrawal date is the date that the form is received by the Student Records and Financial Services Office. Be sure to refer to the email regarding Semester Tuition and Fees Refund/Liability Policy for more information.