Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions

Are letters of recommendation or a personal essay required for admission?

A personal essay is recommended for high school graduates who have not attended college. At times, the Admissions Office may ask for additional information including a personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Students applying to the Heavy Equipment Operations program are required to submit an essay, two letters of recommendation, and a resume.

Are SAT or ACT scores required for admission?

Alfred State College is test optional.  Therefore, it is not necessary to submit standardized test scores for admission purposes or for consideration for merit-based scholarships.

Are there scholarships available? How do I apply?

There are many merit-based scholarships available as well as activity or program specific scholarships. The consideration process for scholarships varies. Merit scholarships are awarded automatically upon accepted to the college, but others may require a separate application or additional information.  For further information visit our Scholarships webpage.

Does Alfred State allow cross registration at any other colleges?

Yes, full-time, matriculated students can cross register for courses at certain participating colleges for courses not available at Alfred State. Cross registration is only allowed for the fall and spring semesters. Tuition is not assessed but students must pay any fees required by the other school.

How are activities/leadership roles from high school considered in the admissions process?

Information on activities is useful in providing additional information and a more complete picture of the applicant. However, courses taken and grades received are the major factors in determining the admissions decision.

How do I access BannerWeb?

Students access BannerWeb through their student portal.  Information regarding accessing the portal is sent to students following receipt of application.

How many and what majors are available?

Alfred State offers over 80 academic majors at the baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels. They fall within the areas of Arts and Sciences; Applied Technology; and Architecture, Management and Engineering Technology.

How old is the school?

The school had its beginning in 1908 as the State School of Agriculture. It was incorporated into the State University of New York in 1948. However, most of the buildings have been constructed since 1960.

What do I do if I feel that I am familiar with the course material for a particular class and do not wish to take it?

This is called "challenging a course" and you must be a matriculated student in order to do so. If you have already earned a grade in the particular course or are currently registered in the course, you cannot challenge it. You can see if a course can be challenged by contacting the department chair of that particular academic area. If they agree to process the challenge, you must take and pass an exam.  Various fees will apply.

What is the average class size?

The average class size is 16 students.

When should I pay my deposit?

It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you turn in your deposit by the due date. The deposit will hold your space in your program, a place in the residence hall, and will secure any scholarships that you may receive. If you do not pay your deposit by the due date, you may lose your space in the program and any scholarships which you may have qualified for.  For students accepted for the fall semester, the deposit is fully refundable up until June 1. To receive a refund of your deposit the student must contact the Admissions Office in writing prior to June 1.

How do I apply?

Applicants will need to fill out with the SUNY application or the Common  Application.  In order to consider your application for admission, we require an official high school transcript. Students who have completed college-level coursework should also supply official college transcripts. In some cases there may be additional information needed. 

How do I register for an online course (credit or non-credit)?

Students wishing to enroll in credit courses for the summer/winter terms and/or non-credit courses year round should contact the Continuing Education Office at via email or phone 607-587-4015.

Students wishing to enroll in credit courses in the fall/spring semesters should contact the Center for Online Learning via email or phone 607-587-3457.

How many students attend the college?

About 3,400 students attend the college.

How will I register for classes once I’m accepted?

All new students will work with the Advising Center to register for fall semester courses and will receive their schedule as part of the orientation process.  Transfer students can register beginning mid-April once the enrollment deposit has been submitted. Students accepted for the spring semester will receive  information and instructions in their acceptance packet. For further information contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office (1-800-4-ALFRED).

Is there a job placement service for graduates?

The Career Development Office helps students develop cover letters and resumes. Mock interview sessions are offered that can be taped for later review. The office also provides job listings in specific curriculums. The staff contacts employers and helps place students in jobs. Lists of starting salaries are available. Alumni are also welcome to use the services.

Is there an honors program available?

There is an honors program. The program includes additional projects and service. Please contact Assistant Professor Janice Stafford at for additional information.

What are housing costs?

The room cost is based on the type (standard double, single, or townhouse) and/or size (small, large, or double single) of room. Each residential student is required to purchase a meal plan which should be figured in when you're planning your budget.

For more information, call 1-800-4-ALFRED and ask to speak to the Student Records and Financial Services Office.

What are the admissions requirements for my major?

Entrance requirements vary by major. To check the entrance requirements, see that major's page.

What counseling/tutorial services are available to students?

Counseling is provided in Health and Wellness Services, located in TA Parish Hall, where students can go for help with academic stress, college adjustments, relationship conflict, drinking, drug abuse, depression, suicide, and adult problems. Both individual and group sessions are available. All counseling provided is strictly confidential.

The Student Success Center, located in the Student Development Center, provides students with peer tutoring services. These tutors meet with the student when it is mutually convenient. The peer tutors are students who have previously completed the course with a B average or better. Professional tutors are also available.

The Student Success Center assists both learning and physically disabled students. The staff can provide Braille books, taped books, and readers. Additional materials are available for deaf students.

What is the employment/transfer rate?

In our most recent placement survey, 98% of our graduates either found jobs or went on to pursue advanced degrees.

What is the student/faculty ratio?

The student to faculty ratio is 16:1.

What is the yearly cost of attendance?

Please refer to our tuition and costs page for an updated list of expenses, sorted by New York State resident, non-resident, and part-time online.

What types of jobs are there on campus?

There are many jobs on-campus, including those through the financial aid work study program, Dining Services, Office of Student Engagement, Athletics, and Admissions.

What is the difference between a matriculated student and a non-matriculated student?

Matriculated students apply to Alfred State through the admissions process and are accepted into a particular program. Non-matriculated students can take one or more courses through The Center for Community Education and Training without going through the admissions process.

Can I have a car?

All students may have a car! There is a $95 fee for all vehicles parked on campus. Vehicles must be registered at the Parking Registration Office, located in the Theta Gamma House. It is not necessary to have a car. Many areas of interest are within a short walking distance. There is a free shuttle service around the campus throughout the day. There is also a free shuttle service to and from the Wellsville campus. During each week there will be shuttle service to Hornell or Wellsville.

Where can I find out more about parking regulations?

You can learn all about parking by reading our parking regulations and/or by visiting the University Police Department, which is open 24 hours per day.

Is credit given for Advanced Placement/IB courses or college courses taken in high school?

Yes, we do accept many AP/CLEP/IB and college-level courses. We require an official transcript from AP/CLEP/IB or college transcripts to be sent to the Student Records and Financial Services Office. The transcript will be evaluated by our transfer adviser. More information on transferring credits to Alfred State can be found on the Transfer Students page.

I have attended another college; can I transfer my credits to Alfred State?

In most cases, yes you can. You will be expected to provide an official transcript from any college(s) you have previously attended. This transcript will be evaluated by Student Records and Financial Services Office personnel and academic department chairs as appropriate. You will be provided information on what credits will transfer. You can also visit our online Transfer Credit Resource Page.

I have AP/CLEP/IB credits. Will these be accepted at Alfred State?

Yes, we do accept most AP/CLEP/IB credits. A list of acceptable AP/CLEP/IB Courses with the required grades can be found in the Transfer Students section.

I live out of state. Is transportation to campus provided?

The college provides free transportation service from Greater Rochester International Airport to Alfred State for international and out-of-state students. See a schedule for bus services.