In celebration of the rich history and legacy of performing arts at Alfred State, the college’s Department of Performing Arts will be hosting a weeklong series of events from April 23-29.
Performing Arts Week will kick off with the Annual Alumni Choral Concert at 2 p.m. April 23 in the Cappadonia Auditorium in the Orvis Activities Center. The next four days will have rehearsals that will be open to all alumni who wish to participate. The week concludes with the combined vocal/instrumental spring concert on April 29, followed by the annual Performing Arts banquet.
Director of Instrumental Music and Coordinator of Performing Arts Gerald Ives said, “We are encouraging all alumni who have participated in these groups to join us for these events, and also perform in our spring concert, followed by their attendance at the banquet. This is the first-ever event in which we are inviting alumni of instrumental, vocal, and dramatic organizations to interact with students. We feel that it is beneficial for our program and students to understand the history of performing arts at Alfred State.”
Ives noted that in the past, Anthony Cappadonia, Joseph Canale, and John and Barbara Larson have created a rich legacy of performing arts programs, and that “we are committed to continuing the trend.”
“Alfred State has a number of talented students who have the desire to keep this legacy moving forward,” he said.
The schedule of events for Performing Arts Week is as follows:
- April 23: Alumni Choral Concert, Cappadonia Auditorium, 2 p.m.
- April 24-27: Open rehearsal for drama, vocal, and instrumental groups, Cappadonia Auditorium. Drama rehearsals will be at 7 p.m. Monday, April 24, while vocal rehearsals will take place from 4-6 p.m. Tuesday, April 25. Instrumental music rehearsals will be held from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, and Thursday, April 27.
- April 25: Vocal concert, titled "A Night of Broadway," Cappadonia Auditorium, 7 p.m.
- April 28: Rock Ensemble performance, second floor, Student Leadership Center, 7 p.m.
- April 29: Spring Concert (combined – includes all groups except the Rock Ensemble). An open rehearsal with alumni begins at 10 a.m., and the concert will be held at 2 p.m., both of which will be in the Cappadonia Auditorium. An awards banquet will take place at 5 p.m. in the small events space in the Student Leadership Center.
For more information, contact the Office of Performing Arts at 607-587-4229, or Ives at firstname.lastname@example.org.