The following is a list of the required tools for all freshmen entering the heavy equipment operations program*. We do not endorse any vendor. We do suggest that you buy good American-made tools which are accurate and dependable to last your lifetime. It is recommended that these tools be insured under the parents' or student's homeowners' insurance.
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- RED hard hat
- Leather steel-toed work boots
- Safety glasses with Z87 approved side shield (prescription glasses must have Z87 approved side shields)
- Hearing protection to be worn with hard hat
- N95 dust mask
- Class 2 reflective vest
- Leather work gloves
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- 6 pc. punch and chisel set
- 12” adjustable wrench
- 3/8” square drive socket – 44 pc. set (SAE & metric)
- 1/2” square drive 3/8 – 1 1/4”
- 10” extension
- 3/8” torx set
- 5/16 – 1 1/4” combination wrenches
- Allen wrenches (SAE & metric)
- 10 pc. combination screwdriver set
- Ball peen hammer
- Needle nose pliers
- 5 lbs. 6013 or 7018 1/8” welding electrodes
- 10 piece metric combination wrench set
- 100 ft. string line
- 4 GB USB thumb drive
- Cordless battery operated grease gun
- Architect and engineers scale
- Construction calculator
- 2 lb hammer
- 100 ft. tape measure
- Slip lock pliers
- Diagonal pliers
- Vise grips
- Seal pick
- 2 - 25’ tape measures (1 in inches and 1 in tenths)
- Gasket scraper
- Pry bar
- Portable lockable tool box
- Drop light (work light for shop)
- Inexpensive Volt/Ohm meter
- Strap filter wrench
- Torque wrench
- Drill bit set up to 1/2"
- Tap and die set standard and metric up to 1/2"
- Allen wrench socket set up to 9/16" standard and metric
Tool box – restricted to an overall length of 42” total including handle.
Uniforms – 3 Uniform shirts must be ordered from the Wellsville Campus Store. You may visit their website for pricing and/or to place your order. You may also call 607-587-4020 to place your order.
Baseline Laptop - view at https://alfredstate-store.1rti.com/catalog/category/view/s/hp-laptops/id/6/
Textbooks - students will be informed at the beginning of each semester as to what textbooks will be required for instruction during that semester. You may visit the Wellsville Campus Store’s website for prices/ordering information and ISBN numbers.
The student will be responsible for the care and safeguarding of his/her and the college’s tools and equipment.
*This is a tentative list and is subject to change.