Safety and Security
Campus safety and security is coordinated by the University Police Department, which has a force of 11 sworn police officers with full arrest powers. As an armed police department, patrol members respond to all emergencies, dispatched by four professionally trained dispatchers.
State University of New York Police Officers must meet the highest standards in New York State for Law Enforcement Officers. The officers have passed a basic training program administered by the State University of New York State Police Academy in Albany, NY or a local regional Police Academy, and undergo continuous training to upgrade their skills. Officers have been trained in emergency medical procedures and first aid. They conduct foot, bike, and vehicular patrols on the campus and residence hall areas 24-hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
The objectives of the University Police are to provide a safe environment for teaching, research, and social endeavors and to protect the lives and property of the students, employees, and visitors of Alfred State College.
Crime Prevention & Safety Tips
- Situational Awareness: Be aware of your surroundings!
- Report all suspicious persons and/or activity to the University Police.
- Be a good bystander: if you observe something happening, either safely intervene or call University Police.
- Emergency: Know how to contact University Police:
- Cell or off campus dial 607-587-3999
- Campus phone dial 3999
- Blue light phones (emergencies only): Know their locations throughout campus.
- Allegany County 911 (emergencies only).
- Walk-in (lobby open 24-hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year).
- Participate in free self-defense classes or Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) offered by the University Police.
- Learn about our RAVE Alert System.
- Program the University Police in your phone: 607-587-3999
- Familiarize yourself with the campus buildings and streets.
- Avoid walking or jogging alone at night.
- Walk in well-lit areas, avoid shortcuts or dark areas.
- Utilize the “buddy system” whenever possible, walk with a friend or group.
- If you feel that you are being followed or do not feel safe walking to your dorm, call University Police immediately. We are available to escort you to your destination.
- Avoid distractions while walking to and from your destination. Remove your earbuds or turn down your music, be cautious while texting and gaming.
- Always stay alert.
- Always lock your doors and windows, even if you are home.
- Never leave your belongings unattended - even if you are only stepping away briefly.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight.
- Do not leave exterior doors propped open.
- Get to know your RA, residence life staff, and neighbors.
- Do not post your daily routine/schedule on social media.
- Be careful of what kind of information you post (once it is on the internet, it is no longer private).
- Change passwords to emails/other accounts every couple of months.
- Never give your passwords to anyone- not even significant others!
- Do not allow others to have access to your personal information.
- Use a password to lock your electronic devices while they are not in use.
- Be careful shopping online (only use trusted sites).