Digital Media and Animation at Alfred State is ranked #10, AffordableSchools.net & Money Mag: Best Colleges 2019
Students solve real-world creative problems, while building a professional portfolio that showcases their animation and experience in a wide range of digital mediums. The digital media and animation program provides students with a broad range of technical, creative, and problem solving skills to facilitate their employment in new media and animation.
Required System Specifications
Incoming students are required to purchase a laptop and Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- The Adobe Creative Cloud software can be purchased at: https://www.adobe.com/
- Once there, choose the students and teachers tab for the educational discount.
- Please go to the following address to view system specific options for laptops: http://www.alfredstate.edu/required-laptops
We recommend one of the following two options:
OMEN Laptop – 15t (SKU:6CM24AV_1)
- Intel® Core™ i7 9750H (2.6 GHz, up to 4.5 GHz, 12 MB cache, 6 Cores)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
- 15.6" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
- 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
- 32 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2x16GB)
15- inch MacBook Pro
- Intel® Core™ i7 (2.6 GHz, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 Memory
- 256GB SSD
- 32 GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Please ensure you get an adaptor to connect USB-C to USB and HDMI plus SD card reader.
- It is recommended that you purchase the laptop through the campus store. Laptops purchased elsewhere cannot be repaired at the Help Desk.
- If you choose to buy the MacBook Pro, the recommended system is the 15” MacBook Pro with Ram upgraded to 32gb, but please be aware that you will need to also purchase multiple adapters for the new USB-C ports.
Financial aid may cover all or a portion of these purchases. For more information, please contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office by phone at 1-800-4-ALFRED or 607-587-4253 or by email at email@example.com.
Assistance will be available with software setup and maintenance such as setting up email, connecting to the server, and printing. The Help Desk is a certified Apple repair center. If your MacBook needs to be sent off campus for repair, they can provide you with a loaner.
Digital Media and Animation has a Tool/Supplies Lending Program
The beginning of the semester can bring with it a lot of expenses. There is a program that may be able to help.
The tools/supplies lending program is an initiative to ensure the academic success of our students. The purpose of the loan program is to temporarily lend items.
Funded through a Title III Department of Education Strengthening Institutions Grant, this program provides tools/supplies for students who are not able to afford to immediately purchase them. If a non-disposable item, these need to be returned at the end of the semester.
Students interested in utilizing the program must complete an application. The program is open to eligible students who are in need, although priority is given to first-year students.
Tools/supplies are lent on a first-come, first-served basis for the entire semester to eligible students. There is no cost for the student to participate in this program.
Participating students are given a contract detailing the tools/supplies they have been loaned and when these are due to be returned.
This program has the following items that can be borrowed: Laptop
Students are prepared for careers in animation, media design, interactive media, production, digital imaging, and fine art.
AAS: Employment and continuing education rate of 100%.
100% transferred to continue their education.
BS: Employment and continuing education rate of 86%.
79% are employed; 7% transferred to continue their education.
"DMA students enjoy their program and make great work." -Paul Tracy, Envisions Productions, Rochester, NY
"There is such a broad range of potential jobs for DMA graduates." - Caitlyn Redden, '12, Interaction Designer, ITX Corp
Alfred State Rankings and Awards