Bruce Riley serves as the campus coordinator for study abroad programs at Alfred State. Please do not hesitate to contact our office with any questions that relate to study abroad.
Additional resources for the areas serviced by this area can be found here:
The initiatives and activities supported through this office seek to align themselves with the diversity and inclusion aspect of our current strategic plan and our campus mission: Alfred State delivers outstanding associate and baccalaureate degree programs through hands-on learning, preparing in-demand and involved students in a caring community.
All initiatives will also seek to employ and reinforce our college's core values of respect, integrity, service, and dedication.
The programming initiatives supported through this office seek to enhance opportunities for meaningful cross-cultural exchange while helping our students foster global competencies and context that will serve them well in their communities and in a competitive workplace.
Through our programming initiatives, here and abroad, we hope to foster positive attitudes, and help people develop their skills, and knowledge in a global context:
- Be willing to learn from others who are culturally different;
- Accept cultural differences and develop a respectful cultural curiosity;
- Appreciate the unique identifiers of different peoples: from language and religion to art and philosophies.
- Interpret issues and situations from more than one cultural perspective;
- Use knowledge, diverse cultural frames of reference, and alternative perspectives to think critically and to develop more meaningful and just relationships within personal communities;
- Explore and develop abilities in another language.
- Of personal culture in a global and comparative context.
- Understand how historical and current forces shape world systems.
- Exposure to other languages and cultures (beliefs, values, perspectives, practices, and products).