You are hereHome ›
Dean, William C
|Department:||Architecture and Design|
|Office Location:||Engineering Technology Bldg.|
- State University of New York at Buffalo; Master of Architecture, 1994
- State University of New York at Buffalo; BPS, Architecture, 1991
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred; AAS, Architectural Technology, 1985
William Dean is a Registered Architect with over 27 years of professional experience. Since joining the faculty in 2000, he has served as Curriculum Coordinator, Chair of the Department of Architecture and Design, and is currently the department’s IDP Educator Coordinator. He holds Bachelor of Professional Studies and Master of Architecture degrees from the University at Buffalo.
Dean teaches second and fourth year design studios in addition to courses in professional practice and construction technology. He directs the fourth-year Urban Design Studio which promotes student civic engagement as a means of helping communities in the Rochester area and New York’s Southern Tier visualize potential solutions for revitalizing their neighborhoods and business districts.
Prior to beginning his academic career, Dean practiced with several firms in the Rochester, NY area that specialized in residential, commercial, and health care design. He maintains a small consulting practice focused on assisting clients plan for creative and sustainable improvements to their existing living and working environments. Recent commissioned projects include a mixed-use infill building in downtown Avon, NY, and several additions to private residences.
Dean’s applied research interests include issues related to new paradigms of professional practice, and community design and development through the work of the Urban Design Studio. He was designated as an Appalachian Teaching Fellow for the 2012-13 academic year by the Appalachian Regional Commission for his work in the Appalachian Teaching Project at Alfred State, and presented with the Alfred State College Council's Award for Leadership Through Civic Engagement in May, 2013.
- Professor, Alfred State - SUNY College of Technology, 2009-present
- Associate Professor, Alfred State - SUNY College of Technology, 2005-09
- Assistant Professor, Alfred State - SUNY College of Technology, 2001-05
- Lecturer, Alfred State - SUNY College of Technology, 2000-01
- ARCH 3304 - Construction Technology 2 (2004-present)
- ARCH 4003 - Professional Practice 1 (2001-present)
- ARCH 4304 - Design Studio 2 (2001-05, 2010-present)
- ARCH 6306 - Design Studio 4 - Adaptive Reuse/Preservation (2011-12)
- ARCH 7001 - Studio Thesis Research (2005-06, 2010-11)
- ARCH 7306 - Design Studio 5 - Urban Design (2000-present)
- ARCH 8003 - Professional Practice 2 (2010-present)
- Registered Architect, State of New York, 1995 - License Number 025095
- Certified by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, 1996
- CSI Construction Document Technician Certification, 2005
- Leadership in Energy Efficient Design Accredited Professional, 2009
- Principal, Dean-Architect, Avon, NY, 2000-present
- Project Manager, James Fahy Design, Rochester, NY, 1997-2000
- Project Architect, DeWolff Partnership, Architects, Rochester, NY, 1994-97
- Intern Architect, N.H. Architecture, Rochester, NY, 1991-94
- Village of Bath Master Plan, Bath, NY, Project in collaboration with the Village of Bath and the Bath Revitalization Group. 2012.
- Village of Cuba Master Plan, Cuba, NY. Project in collaboration with the Village of Cuba and the Cuba Friends of Architecture. 2010 - 2011.
- PACK Neighborhood Master Plan, Rochester, NY. Project in collaboration with the City of Rochester Bureau of Planning & Zoning. 2009.
- Bull’s Head Neighborhood Master Plan, Rochester, NY. Project in collaboration with the Rochester Regional Community Design Center. 2008.
- Veteran’s Village Housing Plan,Wellsville,NY. Project in collaboration with the Patrick McCaffrey Foundation. 2008.
- IrondequoitRevisited: Schematic Design Alternatives for Two Branch Libraries,Irondequoit, NY. Project in collaboration with Helping Irondequoit Plan for Progress (HIPP) and the Town of Irondequoit. 2008.
- Susan B. Anthony Neighborhood Master Plan, Rochester, NY. Project in collaboration with the RochesterRegionalCommunityDesignCenter. 2007.
- Dean, W., “Master Planning:Cuba, NY – Engaging Students to Help Create Sustainable Communities”,AlfredStateSustainability Conference. 2012.
- Dean, W., “The Use of Electronic Resources to Enhance the Integration of Regulatory Requirements and Design Studies in Architectural Education”, SUNY Conference on Instructional Technologies. 2008.
- Dean, W., Holmquist, P., Simpson, R., and Palmiter,T. “Community-Based Service Learning as Part of an Architectural Technology Curriculum”, SUNY Teaching and Learning Conference. 2007.
- Dean, W. (group member), "A New Downtown Neighborhood in Buffalo". Presented by the Urban Design Project, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Architecture and Planning. 1993.
- Rockcastle Florist, Greece, New York. Project was awarded the 2004 Greece Chamber of Commerce Renovated, Rehabilitated Building Award.
- Perinton Community Center, Perinton, New York. Project was a 1997 - 1998 American National Public Works Association Award winner.
- Fleet Bank Corporate Headquarters, Albany, New York. Project won an AWI Award of Excellence in 1986 and was featured in Design Solutions and Professional Office Design magazines.
- Chair, Department of Architecture and Design - 2006-12
- IDP Educator Coordinator - 2011-present
- AET Curriculum Coordinator - 2002-05
- Academic Integrity Committee - 2002-present
- Campus Safety Committee - 2005-present
- Rehabilitation Subcommittee, Facilities Planning Committee - 2008-10
- Strategic Planning and Resource Council - 2007-08
- Faculty Senate Budget and Planning Committee - 2002-05 (Chair 2003-05)
- AmericanInstituteofArchitects, Rochester Chapter, 1995-present
- Landmark Society of Western New York, 1997-present
- The Construction Specifications Institute, 2004-present
- The Building Technology Educators Society, 2006-present
Additional Community and Professional Service
- AIA Rochester Awards Committee, 2012-present
- ECC Architectural Technology Program External Review Committee, 2012
- Allegany County Universal Design Committee, 2010-present
- AIA Rochester Design Arward Jury, 2007, 2011
- FLCC Architectural Technology Program External Review Committee, 2010
- RRCDC Susan B. Anthony Design Committee, 2009
- Dutchess Community College Architectural Technology/Construction Technology Program External Review Committee, 2008
- Architecture Merit Badge Instructor, 2002-present