This page contains links to other web sites which can help you through the financial aid process.
Applying for Financial Aid
- http://www.pin.ed.gov - Use this site to apply for a PIN or request a new PIN. Having a PIN allows you to use an e-signature on your FAFSA and is much quicker than waiting for a signature form to arrive in the mail.
- http://www.fafsa.gov - Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically on the web. Alfred State's Title IV school code is 002854. Completing your FAFSA online will automatically calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- http://www.studentloans.gov - Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Agreement (MPN) and Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling if you are a first time student borrower. Parents also complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan process which includes a credit check and the completion of a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Agreement (MPN).
- https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/ - Upon completion of FAFSA on the web you will be taken to a direct link to apply for the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), but the online application can also be accessed directly at this site. You must be a NYS resident and have listed at least one NYS college or university on your FAFSA to complete your TAP application online. The TAP school code is 3005 for students enrolled in associate degree programs and 6005 for bachelor degree programs.
- http://www.hesc.ny.gov - Check the status of your TAP award, change your TAP school code or mailing address, and request a duplicate TAP application or correction form.
Financial Aid Guides and General Information
Miscellaneous Sites Related to the Financial Aid Process
- http://www.irs.gov/individuals - The IRS answers your tax questions pertaining to education tax credits, IRAs, student loan interest deductions, and tax law changes.
- http://www.nslds.ed.gov - This site contains your student loan history. You will need your federal PIN number to enter.
- http://www.nslc.org - Loan Locator at the National Student Loan Clearinghouse will help you find out who services your student loans and how to contact them.
- http://www.sss.gov - Register online for the military draft with the Selective Service System. All males ages 18-25 must register in order to receive federal financial aid.
- http://www.gibill.va.gov - Information on VA education benefits. If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Also, if you are the spouse or child of a service member you may be eligible for certain Department of Defense financial assistance or Post-9/11 GI Bill transfer of service benefits.
- http://slsc.albany.edu - The SUNY Student Loan Service Center can give you information on the servicing of your Federal Perkins or Nursing Student Loans after you leave Alfred State.
- http://www.nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator - This site allows students to search for enrollment, financial aid and graduation data for all colleges in the United States. It allows them to build a list of schools for side by side comparison, use an interactive map to pinpoint the schools location and export information into a spreadsheet.
- http://www.college.gov - This site was developed by the U.S. Department of Education in collaboration with students. It provides relevant, comprehensive information about why to go, how to go and how to pay for college or other postsecondary education programs. For students who may not have considered higher education a viable option, this site will encourage them to create a "roadmap" for college.