NYS Excelsior Scholarship
The Excelsior Scholarship is a new scholarship from New York State offering free tuition to New York State residents beginning fall 2017. Students must meet certain conditions to be eligible for the scholarship. Learn about the criteria for eligibility.
Students can register for an alert when the Excelsior Scholarship applications become available by leaving their email address on the NYS HESC website.
NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program
The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides a full SUNY or CUNY tuition scholarship for the top 10 percent of students in each New York State high school if they pursue a STEM degree in an associate or bachelor degree program and agree to work in a STEM field in New York State for 5 years after graduation.
An applicant must:
- Be a NYS resident
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be enrolled full time at a SUNY or CUNY college, including the statutory or contract colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University, beginning with the fall term following his or her high school graduation
- Be ranked in the top 10% of his/her high school graduating class of a NYS high school
- Be matriculated in an undergraduate program leading to a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics at a SUNY or CUNY college*
- Earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher each term after the first semester*
- Execute a service contract agreeing to reside and work in NYS for five years in the field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics
- Not be in default on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any state award
- Be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a state award
*Please note: Certification for scholarship payment is completed at the end of each semester. Students that change majors and/or do not have the required GPA will be decertified and be responsible for payment of the semester balance that was deferred by this scholarship.
Applicants for the NYS Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Incentive Scholarships must execute a service contract in which they:
- Agree to work full-time for five years in the fields of science, technology, engineering, or math in New York State, while maintaining residency within the State, regardless of the number or amount of award payments.
- Agree to repay the amounts disbursed plus interest pursuant to the terms of their service contract if they:
- fail to fulfill their service obligation while residing in New York State, or
- fail to complete the degree program qualifying them to work in the fields of science, technology, engineering, or math, or
- fail to respond to all requests by HESC for a report of their academic and professional progress, or
- breach the terms of the service contract
Failure to comply with the terms of the service contract will result in the following repayment penalties:
- All award monies received shall convert to a 10-year student loan plus interest for recipients who fail to meet the statutory, regulatory, contractual, administrative, or other requirements of this program.
- Interest for the life of the loan shall be fixed and equal to that published annually by the U.S. Department of Education for Stafford loans pursuant to the terms of the service contract.
- Interest accrues from the day each award payment is disbursed.
- Interest shall be capitalized on the day the award recipient violates the service contract or on the date the Corporation deems the recipient was no longer able or willing to perform the terms of the service contract.
The list of approved programs of study offered by Alfred State is listed below. Applicants must also be pursuing an approved occupation. A list of approved occupations along with the application information and further details should be reviewed on the following web site: www.hesc.ny.gov/content.nsf/SFC/NYS_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_STEM_Incentive_Program
- Architectural Technology – AAS
- Architectural Technology – BS
- Biological Science – AAS
- CAD/CAM Technology – AAS
- Computer Engineering Technology - AAS
- Computer Engineering Technology – BS
- Computer Information Systems – AAS
- Computer Science – AS
- Construction Engineering Technology – AAS
- Cyber Security – BTech
- Digital Media and Animation – AAS
- Digital Media and Animation – BS
- Electrical Engineering Technology – AAS
- Electrical Engineering Technology – BS
- Engineering Science – AS
- Environmental Technology – AAS
- Forensic Science Technology – BS
- Information Technology: Network Administration – BTech
- Information Technology: Web Development – BTech
- Information Technology: Applications Software Development – BTech
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – AAS
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – BS
- Surveying and Geomatics Engineering Technology – BS
- Surveying Engineering Technology – AAS
Other New York State Scholarships
Information on other scholarships offered through New York State is available on the following web site: www.hesc.ny.gov/content.nsf/SFC/Grants_Scholarships_and_Awards