Eligibility: Please note — students must follow the campus waiver procedures to determine eligibility for living off campus.
Do not sign a lease until you have an approved waiver. If your waiver is in an appeal status, that is not considered approved.
How do I search for housing?
Moving Off Campus: Step by Step
Decide if you would like to live off campus. Be sure to check that you are eligible to live off campus and complete the Campus Waiver Application. Students may choose to move off campus for various reasons, but it is a decision based on personal preference and needs. If approved, students can proceed with the following steps:
- Speak with other students you may like to live with, or decide if you would like to live alone. If you don’t know anyone that wants to live off campus but you still do, don’t fear! There are many properties who offer single rooms/apartments.
- Search the AlfredApartments.com or look for posters around campus and the village advertising apartments for rent. There are also several apartment complexes in Alfred that usually have space available every year, such as AlfredRental.com. Explore your options and pick a few places that interest you.
- Contact the landlords of these places and indicate that you are interested in viewing their property. It's important to visit the apartment in person to decide if it's the right fit for you. This is also an opportunity to inspect the property and ask the landlord questions about living there, such as utilities, lease duration, security deposits, and when and how payment is due.
- Once you decide where you would like to live, contact your future landlord immediately and set a time to sign the lease. Most landlords also require a deposit at this time.
- Congratulations! You're ready to move off campus.
Major Things to Consider
When choosing housemates, it's important to establish trust. Living off campus is different from living on campus because you depend on your housemates rather than a Resident Assistant.
Rules and Responsibilities
Cleaning, taking out the garbage, shoveling snow, setting up utility bills...these are things to discuss with your roommates before they become an issue. Be proactive to establish an agreement and divide any responsibilities ahead of time.
Is the apartment or house furnished, unfurnished, or partially furnished? Decide ahead of time where your furniture will come from and how you will transport it to your apartment.
Unlike on campus living, your off campus living payments are not included in your bill from Alfred State. It's important to speak with anyone you depend on financially before moving off campus. It's also beneficial to talk with financial aid before signing a lease.
To assist current students, faculty, and staff with their housing search, we've provided some external links of available apartments. These links contain apartments and rooms for rent.