Commuter and Off-Campus Student Resources

Commuter and Off-Campus Student Resources


Many Alfred landlords or students list available rental units or rooms on the apartment links noted previously. Additionally, some landlords advertise in the local newspapers and the Alfred State student newspaper, The Tor Echo. If you do live in a near-by off campus apartment and have questions about housing conditions, landlords, tenants’ rights, etc., stop by the Asst. Vice President of Student Affairs Office, Student Leadership Center 407, or phone 607-587-4074.


Get your parking permit before classes begin. Details can be found online. You'll need your vehicle registration information when you hand in the parking registration form and fee. The parking vehicle registration form can also be downloaded online (pdf) to help you save time.

Child Care

There is a list of providers located for the surrounding area at - These providers have no affiliation with the college and each parent or guardian should work through Allegany County if they have any concerns (


Whether or not you use another email service provider, you must check your Alfred State email regularly to receive official college notifications and information from professors.

Clubs and Organizations

All clubs and organizations are open to students, regardless of living on or off campus. Alfred State has over 100 recognized student organizations related to academics, club sports, and recreation, communications, cultural groups, governing/programming, fraternity/sorority, music, volunteer/community service, religion, various special interests, and more. Getting involved is a great way to meet friends, learn something new, and make valuable connections in the Alfred State College community. Learn more about student organizations.

Spending time on campus between classes

Many students head to Hinkle Memorial Library between classes. The Student Leadership Center is another place on campus with plenty of space to spend time, especially at the Evergreen Café. You can also make photocopies, check out a laptop, or relax in a massage chair at The Oasis!

Eating on or off campus

If you don't bring your lunch, you may pay cash to eat at any of the campus dining facilities or snack bars. Additionally, through ACES you can set up a Campus Spending Account on your Alfred State ID card that will enable you to make purchases from campus dining facilities, such as Alfies, the convenience store at 10 Elm, vending machines, and several off-campus restaurants without worrying about having enough change for your purchase. Off-campus students can purchase meal plan options. Stop in to the office in the Central Dining Hall or call 607-587-4064 for more information. The Village of Alfred also offers several places to eat.