Numerous Pioneers etched their way into the Alfred State record book as the team opened up the 2013 at the Brockport Golden Eagle Invitational.
Desmond Chambers (Rochester/Gates Chili) was the lone Pioneer to win an event on the day. He won the long jump with a leap of 6.74 m. His mark is 7th best all time at Alfred State. He also finished 2nd in the 60 m dash in 7.25 (7th all-time). Chambers also was part of the 4x200 relay team (Zach Woodard -South Jefferson-, Dane Dechau -Randolph-, and Brian Tubbs -Waverly) that finished 2nd in 1:35.60 and is now 5th on the all-time list.
Josiah Thomas (Rochester/John Marshall) was 2nd in the triple jump with a leap of 13.22 m (8th all-time), Brian Edwards (Tri-Valley) was 3rd in the shot put with a toss of 14.04 m (6th all-time), and Frankie Bailey (Rochester/John Marshall) was 3rd in the 60 m hurdles in 9.07 (9th all-time).
Other top performances on the day included:
- Woodard finished 3rd in the 200 (23.84) and 4th in the 60 m (7.40).
- Logan Phillips (Genesee Valley) was 6th in the 400 m (53.70).
- Travis Nagle (Randolph) was 4th in the high jump (1.78 m) and 6th in the pole vault (4.25 m).
- 4x400 relay team of Phillips, Cody Marvin (Bath Haverling), Kyle Jones (Wilson), and Bailey finished 2nd (3:40.19).
- Dechau was 4th in the 60 m hurdles (9.26).
- Tubbs was 6th in the 60 m dash (7.55) and 8th in the 200 (24.77)
- Marvin was 7th in the 400 m (54.15)
- Jones was 6th in the 200 m (24.52)
- Eric Ransley (Midlakes) was 7th in the 5,000 (19:59.14).
- Alex Farrell (N. Tonawanda) was 8th in the 800 m (2:07.40)
- Distance Medley Relay team of Farrell, Zachary Hale (Greece Athena), Thomas, and Sean Pine (Hamburg) was 2nd (12:00.41).
- Bailey was 5th in the high jump (1.68 m).
- Richard Krouse (Eden) was 7th in the high jump (1.63 m).
- Ryan Seward (Pembroke) was 8th in the high jump (1.48 m).
- Leandro DelRosario (Brooklyn/Thomas Edison) was 8th in the shot put (12.78 m).
On the women's side, Megan Dillon (Lake Shore) and Nicole Lipa (Newfane) excelled in the pole vault. Dillon was 6th with a vault of 2.28 m (5th all-time) and Lipa was 7th with a leap of 2.13 m (7th all-time). Dillon also led three Lady Pioneers in the 60 hurdles. She was 5th in 11.74 (7th all-time), Kalya Franchina (Cassadaga Valley) was 6th (12.06), and Ella Donovan (Clifton Fine) was 7th (12.37).
Franchina and Brooke Kratzer (Canisteo Greenwood) tied for 5th in the high jump (1.16 m), Tiara Summers (Port Richmond) was 6th in the 60 m dash (8.66), and Courtney Whetstine (Lewiston Porter) was 5th in the triple jump (8.96 m). The women's 4x200 was 2nd in 2:01.34 and the DMR team finished 4th in 17:04.57.
Alfred State returns to action next Saturday when they compete at the SUNY Cortland Invitational. Action is slated to begin at 4 p.m.