Alfred State College (ASC) remains the No. 1 ranked SUNY and in the top 9 for all public and private Northern Regional Colleges in the latest 2022-23 US News & World Report rankings.
The US News definition of a regional college is one that focuses on undergraduate education with less than 50 percent of the degrees in liberal arts. This makes for a more career-focused graduate. This is the 16th straight year ASC is highly ranked by the publication.
On top of being the No. 1 ranked SUNY, US News recognizes ASC as the No. 6 Top Public School in the publication’s 11-state northern region. Alfred State is No. 4 in the same category among public and private colleges located in New York.
ASC President Dr. Steven Mauro believes the rankings reflect the remarkable work done at the college. “We accomplish great things at Alfred State and these rankings show that. We are not only high in the SUNY and regional rankings, but we have high marks for value, least debt, social mobility, and for veterans. Our hands-on quality education is preparing our students to enter the work force with in-demand skills.”
Alfred State is large enough to offer a vibrant college experience and a wide variety of over 80 different majors. While at the same time, ASC provides a tight-knit and caring community to help students succeed with a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1. US News reports 62.8-percent of all classes on campus have fewer than 20 students.
In the north, US News is very selective in only awarding a numeric ranking to 45 northern regional colleges for the 2023 list. Alfred State earned Top 10 honors in 15 categories including:
- No. 1 SUNY among regional colleges
- No. 1 SUNY Best for Veterans among SUNY and all NY regional colleges
- No. 1 SUNY Best Value School among regional colleges
- No. 2 SUNY for Social Mobility among regional colleges
- No. 2 SUNY for Least Debt among regional colleges
- No. 3 with 2,000+ enrollment among public and private northern regional colleges
- No. 3 Northern College with out-of-state tuition under $15,000 both public and private
- No. 3 Best for Veterans among public and private northern colleges
- No. 4 New York’s Best among public and private regional colleges
- No. 6 Top Public School among northern regional colleges
- No. 6 New York’s Best Value School among public and private regional colleges
- No. 7 for Least Debt among public and private northern regional colleges
- No. 7 New York’s Best for Social Mobility among public and private regional colleges
- No. 9 (tie) High Social Mobility among northern public and private college
US News & World Report’s Best Colleges list is one of the most sought-after rankings among colleges and universities across the nation. The rankings include data from more than 1,400 colleges with schools ranked in 17 areas related to academic excellence.
At 40-percent, Student Outcomes have the largest influence on US News rankings. Expert Opinions from peer institutions and Faculty Resources both account for 20-percent of the score. Financial Resources for the school provide 10-percent. Student Excellence accounts for 7-percent and Alumni Giving makes up the final 3-percent of the score.