A combination of personal attention, experiential learning, quality teaching, and in-demand programs has led to Open SUNY+ designation for Alfred State’s online programs. To qualify for this recognition, the State University of New York (SUNY) has established robust standards of quality.
“Open SUNY gives students the flexibility to take a few courses or complete a comprehensive degree program online with the opportunity to serve more students who are balancing work, family, and varying academic objectives,” said SUNY Executive Director of Open SUNY Kim A. Scalzo. “The Open SUNY+ designation recognizes the joint commitment of both Open SUNY and Alfred State to the high quality programs and support services for online students. We are happy to welcome Alfred State as a new Open SUNY+ campus."
Online students in a degree program powered by Open SUNY+ have access to high levels of support including a personal concierge, help desk, and online tutoring. Faculty must also employ innovative, yet proven online teaching methods. Open SUNY+ degrees target areas of high employer demand and students participate in applied learning to better prepare for the working world.
“When a student chooses a degree that we offer 100 percent online, we still promise to provide personal attention and experiential learning. These are traits for which our college is well known,” stated Alfred State Provost Dr. Kristin Poppo. “We’re proud that this Open SUNY+ designation further proves the quality of our online programs. By expanding online degree options, Alfred State can expand access to working adults who need a more flexible format for their education.”
Some of the online degrees now endorsed as Open SUNY+ include bachelor’s degrees in technology management and nursing. Working adults and other nontraditional students are attracted to online classes as a way of completing their degrees while continuing to meet the demands of their job and family.
Through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) Alfred State is also able to offer online classes to students outside of New York State. As the college’s online programs reach an ever-increasing audience, achieving Open SUNY+ designation assures prospective students of these specific benefits:
- Personal Concierge - One point of contact for all questions about your program, big and small, who will follow you throughout your degree.
- Help Desk and Tutoring - Support that matches your schedule.
- Experiential Learning - Access to real-life experiences to position you for employment, providing opportunities with a wealth of New York State employers at a scale no other university can provide.
- Industry-Leading Teaching Practices - A learning experience that incorporates world-class faculty and teaching practices, building on the deep knowledge and research cultivated across the SUNY network.
- Career based programs - Your degree will prepare you for the workforce. Each degree is created in conversation with employers to ensure our graduates are ready to “hit the ground running”.
The full list of programs from Alfred State Online include:
- Healthcare management (BTech)
- Human services management (BS)
- Nursing (BS) RN to BSN
- Technology management (BBA)
- Court and realtime reporting (AAS)
- Health information technology (AAS)
- Coding & reimbursement specialist (Certificate)
- Court reporting & captioning (Certificate).