Approximately 300 competitors from 40 teams and 16 schools will be taking part in the 70th Annual Northeast Woodsmen’s Conclave April 22-23 at Alfred State.
This major timber sports competition will feature a number of singles, doubles, and triples events in Men’s, Women’s, and Jack & Jill divisions, plus the STIHL Northeast Collegiate Qualifier, the winner of which will compete in the Collegiate Championship in Illinois in July. Singles events include axe throw, birling, underhand chop, single buck, super suede, and stock saw; doubles events are standing block chop, fire build, and crosscut to death; and triples include underhand chop and quarter split.
Events, which are open to spectators free of charge, will take place at either the athletics events field on the Alfred campus or at the Lake Lodge, 3107 Terbury Road, Alfred.
Participating schools in addition to Alfred State include Unity College, Colby College, University of Maine, University of New Hampshire, University of Vermont, Paul Smith’s College, University of Connecticut, the State University of New York (SUNY) at Cobleskill, Finger Lakes Community College, SUNY Morrisville, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), SUNY ESF Ranger School and Wanakena, West Virginia University, Penn State, and University of Dartmouth.
Dr. Skip Sullivan, president of Alfred State, said, “Our college is honored and excited to be hosting the Northeast Woodsmen’s Conclave, as well as the best collegiate timber sports competitors from the Northeast. We welcome all of the participating schools and wish everyone a safe and competitive event.”
Scott Bingham, University Police officer and coach of the Alfred State Pioneer Woodsmen’s Club, said, “It is a very large undertaking, but it is also a great opportunity for the school and the members of our club to put on an event of this magnitude.”
The schedule of events is as follows:
Friday, April 22
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Men’s canoeing, pulp, and log roll (Lake Lodge); Women’s singles, doubles, and pack board (events field); Jack & Jill singles, doubles, and pack board (events field).
- 12:30-5 p.m. – Men’s singles, doubles, and pack board (events field); Women’s canoeing, pulp, and log roll (Lake Lodge); Jack & Jill canoeing, pulp, and log roll (Lake Lodge).
Saturday, April 23 (all competitive events to be held on the athletics events field)
- 8-11 a.m. – Men’s team sawing, Women’s triples, and Jack & Jill triples.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Men’s triples, Women’s team sawing, and Jack & Jill team sawing.
- 2-4 p.m. – Stihl Championship.
- 5-6 p.m. – Awards banquet and dinner in a large tent at parking lot 22.
In photo: Pioneer Woodsmen’s Club member Gavin Maloney, a masonry major from Rome, NY, performs an underhand chop, which is one of the events that will take place during the 70th Annual Northeast Woodsmen’s Conclave April 22-23.