AGC of New York State
HMA Density Testing Inspector
Certification Program 2021
In order to provide the highest level of quality for transportation facilities, most state agencies along with AASHTO, FHWA and NAPA have adopted quality assurance specifications. Part of this process includes using qualified personnel for sampling and testing.
According to federal regulations "all sampling and testing data to be used in acceptance decision or the IA program will be executed by qualified sampling and testing personnel" (23 CRF 637). The Density Inspector Certification Program is intended to provide qualification of personnel performing density testing on asphalt pavements in New York State.
Certification is valid for five years and is based on attending the two-day program and successfully passing the written examination.
The examination includes the following:
- Chapter 2 Density and Pavement Performance
- Chapter 3 Determining the Density of Pavements
- Chapter 4 Controlling the Variables that Influence the Compaction of Paving Mixtures
- Chapter 5 NYS Density Testing Inspector Roles and Responsibilities
- Chapter 6 Use of Density as a Quality Characteristic in NYS
Participants are able to use their manual during the exam. Examinees must receive at least 70% per section and an 80% overall for the entire exam. Failing of the section or of the overall examination will require a written retest. The exam will be 100 multiple choice and true/false questions. Some questions may include calculations.
Full Program (Class and Exam)
|Cost • Includes manual and exam|
|AGC NYS, LLC Members||$605|
|NYSDOT and NYSTA Staff||$605|
The fee is nonrefundable and due upon confirmation of program date. Your program date is secured ONLY by payment of the program fee.
Recertification (Exam Only)
Recertification requirements are as follows:
- Technicians must hold an active certificate in order to perform work on projects
- Certification expires after 5 years
- Recertification must be achieved within 60 days of expiration
- Recertification exams will be held at any of the scheduled courses – schedules are subject to change based upon preregistrations
- Technicians may also register for the exam only at any of the scheduled courses – schedules are subject to change based upon pre-registrations
- Technicians who do not pass the recertification exam MUST take the full training course and sit for a second exam
|Cost • Includes manual and exam|
This fee is nonrefundable and due upon confirmation of program date. Your program date is secured ONLY by payment of the program fee.
|Cost • Exam only|
Opportunities for taking a written certification retest if the written test is failed can be made by contacting the CCET office at 607-587-4015 or sending an email to CCET.
A failed exam can be taken up to two (2) times from within the original date of testing. The cost is for each retest attempt.
Testing Dates • All certifications will be VIRTUAL for 2021.
*Note that those eligible for just the written exam with no class time will take their test on the afternoon of the second day of class.
|April 1 & 2, 2021|
|May 4 & 5, 2021|
|May 27 & 28, 2021|
|August 9 & 10, 2021|
Payment is to be made by check, payable to the Research Foundation. Send the check to the address below:
Alfred State College
10 Upper College Drive
Alfred, NY 14802