|Department:||Social and Behavioral Sciences|
|Office Location:||Hunter Student Development Center|
Stony Brook University (SUNY at Stony Brook), Stony Brook, New York
Ph.D. in Psychology, 1992
Dissertation: Individualism: Concept and Measure in Two Cultures
- General Psychology (Psyc 1013), 1991- present
- Abnormal Psychology (Psyc 2093), 2008-present
- Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology, 1999-2003 & Spring 2010
- General Sociology (Soci 1163), 2002-2004
- Science, Technology and Society (Soci 5213), 1998-present
- Introductory & Intermediate Japanese and culture at Alfred University, 1992-2009
- Yatani, C. (2009). With us or against us: American images of the enemy. In K. Alexander (Ed.), Terrorism and global insecurity: A multidisciplinary perspective (pp. 137-147). New York: Linton Atlantic Books, Ltd.
- Yatani, C. (1995). Competition vs. cooperation: Can academia meet a societal need? Journal of College Consortium of the Finger Lakes, Vol. 16, 24-28.
- Yatani, C. (1994). School performance of Asian American and Asian children: Myth and fact. In E. Tobach & B. Rosoff (Eds.), Challenging Racism & Sexism: Alternatives to Genetic Explanation, 295-308. New York: The Feminist Press. (The Book was named an Outstanding Book on the Subject of Human Rights in North America by The Gustavus Myers Center for the Study of Human Rights in North America, December 10, 1996)
- Yatani, C. (1992). Amerika wo uttaeta nihonjin (A Japanese who Sued the United States). Tokyo: The Mainichi Shimbun Press.
- Yatani, C. (1991). Oriento ekkusupuresu no yuutsu (The melancholy of the Orient Express). Working Debut, 16-19.
- Yatani, C. & Bramel, D. (1989). Trends and patterns in American attitudes toward the Soviet Union. Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 45(No. 2), 13 32.
- Yatani, C. (1989). American national character and Japanese management: Individualism and work ethic. Organization Development Journal, 7(No. 1), 75 79.
- Yatani, C. (1989, March). Paul Kennedy no "Taikoku no kobo" wa machigaida (Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers is wrong). Weekly Post (Japanese magazine), 10, 32 37.
- Yatani, C. (May 3 and 4, 1989). STATEMENT OF CHOICHIRO YATANI. On free trade in ideas, a testimony at the Congressional hearing in the Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Administration of Justice (Congressman Robert W. Kastenmeier, Chairman), Congress of the United States, Washington, DC., 77-84.
- Yatani, C. (2009). No racism, no sexism and no enemy in the 2008 American presidential race: Psychology in a social context. Paper presented at the 4th International Conference on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, The University of Athens, Greece, July 8-11.
- Yatani, C. (2009). Humanizing science and technology or alienating the learners: The paradox of Sociology 5213 – Science, Technology & Society. Paper presented at the 16th International Conference on Learning, The University of Barcelona, Spain, July 1-4.
- Yatani, C. (2008). With us or against us: American images of the enemy. Paper presented at the 20th anniversary of Oxford Round Table Oxford University, England, March 16 – 21.
- Yatani, C. (2006). Transforming personal knowledge into common knowledge: A case study of Collaborative work between an American and Japanese organization. Paper presented at the 6th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organizations, Prato, Italy, July 11-14.
- Yatani, C. (2004). From Pearl Harbor to 9/11: A Japanese Teacher in America. Paper presented at the 112th annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Honolulu, Hawaii, July 28-Aug. 1.
- Yatani, C. (2003). After twenty years: The new “Evils” and the old America. Symposium at the 20th anniversary of 20th Anniversary Conference of Psychologists for Social Responsibility (PsySR), University of District of Columbia, Washington DC, March 28-30.
- Yatani, C. (1999). Challenging the Cold War in America. Paper presented at the 22nd annual scientific meeting of International Society of Political Psychology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, July 18-21.
- Yatani, C. (1996). Anti-Immigrant movements in the 1990s: A new perspective in the Post Cold War. Paper presented at the 104th annual conference of American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada, August 9-13.
- Yatani, C. & Kowalewski, D. (1996). Japanese media personnel: An attitudinal survey. Paper presented at the 41st International Conference of Eastern Studies, Tokyo, Japan, May 10-11.
- Yatani, C. (1986). Individualism and nationalism: Need for strength as a psychological obstacle toward participation in anti-nuclear activities. Paper was presented at the 9th annual scientific meeting of the International Society of Political Psychology, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, June 30- July 3.
- Hunter, A., Flamenbaum, C., Yatani, C., & Silverstein, B. (1985). Psychological predictors of anti-nuclear activism by social class. Paper was presented at the 113th annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC., November 18-20.
- Member of American Psychological Association (APA), 1997-present
- Member of the Society for the Psychological Studies of Social Issues (SPSSI), 1984-present.
- Member of the International Society of Political Psychology 1991-present
- Chairman, Department of Social & Behavioral Sciences, 1997-2000
- Faculty Senator, 2001-2003
- College Curriculum Development & Review Committee, 1995-2001 (Chair, 1996-1997)
- Multicultural Awareness Committee, 1992-2002
- Honors Program Steering Committee, 1997-2000
- Cultural Life Committee, 2002-present
- Served as one of the seven panelists for the “Public Forum on University Police Arming,” Feb. 28, 2002