SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor
Physical and Life Sciences
Physical and Health Sciences Bldg.
- Graduate Course in Critical Thinking. NYSUT Education & Learning Trust. Summer 1993.
- M.P.S., Community Services Administration. Alfred University, Alfred N.Y. January 1988.
- B.S., Medical Records Administration. Daemen College, Buffalo N.Y. May 1979.
- A.A.S., Medical Records Technology, Alfred State College, Alfred N.Y. May 1977.
- CPT Coding
- Human Biology
- ICD-9-CM Coding
- Medical Terminology
- Coding Professional Practice Experience
- Insurance and Reimbursement Processing
- Introduction to Health Information Management
- Alternate Care Health Information Management
- Introduction to HIM Professional Practice Experience
- Quality Management and Legal Aspects of Health Information Management
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor. State University of New York, College of Technology at Alfred, Alfred, N.Y. (1984-Present)
- Date of Initial Appointment to SUNY: December 1984.
- Date Highest Rank Achieved: May 2004.
- Teach and develop Internet-based courses for coding & reimbursement specialist and health information technology/medical records programs.
- Academically advise students.
- Coordinated Coding & Reimbursement Specialist and Health Information Technology/Medical Records curriculums. (2000-August 2007)
- Taught and developed on-campus courses in health information technology/medical records and medical transcription. Academically advised on-campus students. (1984-2000)
Health Information Management Consultant.1984-2000.
- Author, Reimbursement Methodologies chapters for textbooks entitled Introduction to Health Information Management and Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice (American Health Information Management Association) (2000) (2004)
- Reviewed and critiqued health information technology program accreditation self-study document (Sawyer College, Pittsburgh, PA) (2000)
- Served as contract author to finish incomplete manuscript entitled Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Professional Billing (Delmar Learning, Albany, N.Y.) (1999) (Original author unable to complete manuscript due to illness)
- Served as contract author to finish another author's incomplete manuscript entitled Uniform Billing: A Guide to Hospital Billing (Delmar Learning, Albany, N.Y.) (1999) (Original author unable to complete manuscript due to time constraints)
- Trained physicians and other providers in documentation and coding/reimbursement issues (Veterans Administration Medical Centers, Albany, Batavia, Bath, Buffalo, Canandaigua, and Syracuse, NY) (1998-2000) (Guthrie Clinic, Corning, NY) (1999) (Unity Health Care, Rochester, NY) (1999) (Jones Memorial Hospital, Wellsville, NY) (2000)
- Assisted with development of new health information technology programs (Penn College of Technology, Williamsport, PA) (1998) (St. Petersburg Junior College, St. Petersburg, FL) (1984)
- Review textbook manuscripts (AHIMA) (Delmar Learning) (Elsevier) (McGraw-Hill) (Pearson Prentice Hall) (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins) (1987-Present)
- Conducted coding validation audits (St. James Mercy Health, Hornell, NY) (1987)
- Coded and abstracted ambulatory surgery unit and inpatient records (St. Luke's/Roosevelt Medical Center, Manhattan, NY) (1985)
Director of Medical Records. Metropolitan General Hospital, Pinellas Park, FL. (1981-1984)
- Hired and managed staff of 15 employees
- Coordinated medical record functions and assisted staff in prioritizing tasks
- Chaired the following committees: medical library, medical records/forms design, quality assurance/utilization review, tissue review
- Prepared annual budgets: salary ($300,000) and department ($100,000), reconciled monthly expenditures, and prepared justifications
- Supervised submission of ICD-9-CM codes to billing office within three days of inpatient discharge to facilitate timely billing of accounts receivable (averaging $1.5 million/month)
Director of Medical Records. Interbay Community Hospital, Tampa, FL. (1979-1981)
Publications and Events:
- Supervised one file clerk
- Coordinated medical record functions and performed all technical tasks in a timely manner (medical record abstracting, analysis, assembly, coding, and medical transcription)
- Chaired the medical library and medical records/forms design committees.
- Author. 3-2-1 Code It!, by Michelle A. Green. Delmar Cengage Learning.
- Author. Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement, by Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell. Delmar Cengage Learning.
- Co-author. Essentials of Health Information Management, by Michelle A. Green and Mary Jo Bowie. Delmar Cengage Learning.
- Co-author. Medical Transcription Report Grader (MTRG), by Michelle A. Green and Jozef Colpaert.
Honors and Awards:
- Presenter, Blackboard Best Practices, Alfred State College, January 2007
- Presenter, So You're Teaching Online! Now What?, Alfred State College, January 2007
- Advisor to Online Learning Coordinator, Alfred State College, Fall 2006
- Member, Education Foundation Board of Directors, 2006-Present
- Member, Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching Committee, 2005-Present
- Member, eLearning Group, 2002-2004
- Contributing author, eLearning Handbook, 2001-02
- Mentor and trainer, TopClass and Blackboard course management systems, 2000-Present
- Contributing Author, Distance Education Institutional Capability Review Report, 2002
- Author, Middle States Interim Report, 2001
- Trainee, TopClass and Blackboard course management systems, 2000-03
- Recipient, State of New York/UUP Joint Labor-Management Technology Grant ($18,000) entitled Development of an Internet-based Cancer Registry Program Option for the Health Information Technology/Medical Records Program, 1998-99
- Chairperson, Middle States Periodic Review Report Team, 1998-99
- Member, Alfred State Opportunity Program Review Team, 1997-98
- Honorary, Pi Nu Epsilon Sorority, 1997-98
- Member, Alfred Academic Promotion Committee, 1997-98
- Chairperson, Alfred Academic Promotion Committee, 1996-97
- Registration Representative, Physical & Life Sciences Department, 1993-1996
- Member, Employee Assistance Program Committee, 1990-94
- Chairperson, Alfred Academic Promotion Committee, 1991-92
- Member, Search Committee for Vice President of Student Services, 1991-9
- Member, Middle States Accreditation Faculty and Teaching Task Force, 1990-91
- Chairperson, Student Health Advisory Committee, 1990-91
- Chairperson, Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service Committee, 1990-91
- Member, Alfred Academic Promotion Committee, 1989-91
- Member, Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Professional Service Committee, 1989-91
- Secretary/Treasurer, Faculty Senate, 1988-89
- Member, Committee on Alcohol Education Program and Campus Safety, 1988-89
- Traffic Appeals Officer, 1987-88
- Chairperson, Student Senate ad hoc Committee on Student Life, 1986-87
- Triumph Educator Award, AHIMA, 2008
- Teacher of the Year, Alumni Association, Alfred State College, August 2005
- Fellow, American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), August 2004
- S.U.N.Y. Distinguished Teaching Professor, May 2004
- Cheer for a Peer, Alfred State College, November 2002
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, State University of New York, 2000
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2004
- Outstanding Young Woman of America, 1997
- Fellow of the American Health Information Management Association (FAHIMA), 2004
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), 1979
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), 1990
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC), 2005
- Physician Coding Specialist (PCS), 2008
- Member, American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), 1990-Present
- Member, American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), 2000-Present
- Member, American College of Medical Coding Specialists (ACMCS), 2007-Present
- Member, American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), 1979-Present
- Member, Monroe County Chapter of the AAMA, 1990-Present
- Member, New York Health Information Management Association (NYHIMA), 1984-Present
- Member, New York Society of the AAMA, 1990-Present
- Member, Rochester Regional Health Information Management Association (RrHIMA), 1984-Present
- Member, Florida Health Information Management Association (FHIMA), 1979-84
- Member, Gulfcoast Regional Health Information Management Association (Gulfcoast Region), 1979-84
- Member, NYHIMA Education Committee, 2004-05
- Facilitator, AHIMA Assembly on Education (AOE) Community of Practice (CoP), 2000-Present
- Member, Medical Assistant Advisory Board, Elmira Business Institute, 2002-Present
- Speaker, Managing Professional Practice Activities On-line, AHIMA AOE Summer Symposium, June 2004
- Speaker, Software Tools that Save Time, AHIMA AOE Summer Symposium, June 2003
- Speaker, Teaching On-line: Tackle the Unknown, NYHIMA Annual Conference, June 2002 (encore)
- Speaker, Teaching On-line: Tackle the Unknown, NYHIMA Educator Forum, January 2002
- Coordinator, Alfred State's Quantum Coding Beta Test Site, QuadraMed Corporation, 2002-03
- Member, Product Advisory Board, QuadraMed Corporation, 2001-03
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, How to Get Paid! for Family Practice, HCPro, Inc., 2001-02
- Member, Health Information Administration Advisory Board, Daemen College, 1985-86
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Nursing Home Regulations Manual: Survey, Certification & Enforcement Bulletin, Thompson Publishing Group, Inc., 1993-95