Physical and Life Sciences
Allied Health Building
- SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo NY, M.A., Biology with emphasis in Ecology, 1980.
- Houghton College, Houghton NY, B.S., Biology major, Chemistry minor, 1973.
- Alfred State College, Physical & Life Sciences Department. General Biology, Genetics, Introductory Chemistry, Pathophysiology, First Aid, Environmental Science Laboratory, Environmental Microbiology, Topics in Tropical Ecology. 1982-present.
- Andover Central School, Andover NY, High School Science Teacher. Regents Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, and Ninth Grade General Science. 1980-1982.
- The Bible Academy, Nazareth, Ethiopia, High School Science Teacher. Chemistry, Geography. 1976-1979.
- SUNY Geneseo, Graduate Teaching Assistant. Fundamentals of Biology, Anatomy & Physiology. 1975-1976.
National Science Foundation-funded summer research and professional development workshops:
Publications and Events:
- Genomic Biology, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (NY), 2000.
- Advanced DNA Science, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1992.
- Ecology of the Chesapeake, University of Maryland's Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, 1991.
- Environmental Problem Solving, Great Lakes Research Consortium, SUNY Oswego, 1990.
- Quantitative and Analytical Ecology, SUNY Fredonia, 1989.
- Buckwalter, J. 2005. Costa Rica: Environmental Challenges and Success Stories. Seminar presented to Alfred University Environmental Studies Department.
- Buckwalter, J. 1991. Developing an Environmental Science Laboratory Course for a New Major in Environmental Science and Technology. In New Curricula Developed by Faculty Participants in the GLRC/NSF Summer Practicum, J. Haynes, ed.., SUNY Brockport Press.
- Birkhimer, C., J. Buckwalter, G. Hwang, and W. Shaw. 1991. Environmental Impact Assessment: Boat Slip Construction and Dredging, Oswego Harbor, New York. In New Curricula Developed by Faculty Participants in the GLRC/NSF Summer Practicum, J. Haynes, ed.., SUNY Brockport Press.
- Buckwalter, J and G. Fairchild. 1988. Audio-tutorial Lab Guides: Biology 2204. D.K. Press, Hornell NY.
- Buckwalter, J. 1984. Apple II Helps Out in General Biology. Context (Alfred State College Academic Computing), 1 (1):18.
- Buckwalter, J. 1979. Trip to Bale. Ethiopian Wildlife and Natural History Society Newsletter, 140:4-5.
Honors and Awards:
- Coordinated and led six college-sponsored study trips to Costa Rica, 1999-2009, with an emphasis in tropical ecology (photos here).
- Co-lead group of students on a service trip to New Orleans for post-Katrina cleanup, March 2006 (photos here)
- Advanced Placement Biology Reader for Educational Testing Services, 2005-present.
- Interim Dean, School of Arts & Sciences, 2000-2002 and 2007-2010
- Chair, Physical & Life Sciences Department, 1999-2007.
- Board of Education member, Alfred-Almond Central School, 1988-99, President 1995-96.
- Member, Allegany County (NY) Public Health Advisory Board, 2002-2008
- Member, Empire State Association of Two-Year College Biologists.
- Member, American Scientific Affiliation.
- Fulbright Scholar Award to teach at Astrakhan State Technical University, Astrakhan, Russia, 2011
- SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, 2000
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1991
- Alfred State College Alumni Association Teacher of the Year Award, 1991.