- Bus Transportation
- Career Development
- Center for Diversity & Inclusion
- Computer Labs
- Health & Wellness
- International Student Services
- Learning Center
- Tutoring Services
- Student Disability Services
- University Police
Confidentiality of Disability-Related Information
The Office of Student Disability Services is committed to protecting the confidentiality of student records to the extent consistent with state and federal law.
Confidentiality is maintained to protect the student’s privacy and to avoid discrimination.
At Alfred State, the guidelines for confidentiality are as follows:
- Disability-related information is collected and maintained on separate forms and kept in secure files with limited access in the Office of Student Disability Services. Access to files is limited to Student Disability Services staff and those designated as “need to know”.
- Disability-related information will be shared on a need to know basis, and only when there are compelling reasons for such disclosure. This may mean sharing only that a student has a documented disability and need for accommodation(s), or it may mean sharing pertinent information from the student’s file, as the situation dictates. If a student has requested an accommodation, the student will be informed as to what information is being provided to faculty or staff regarding the request.
- Students are encouraged to communicate with faculty about their disability(ies) so faculty will have a better understanding of their needs. Faculty may elect if they will provide a student’s approved and requested accommodations or if they will encourage the student to request accommodations through Student Disability Services. A student may elect to not use accommodations on a case by case basis.
- By signing a “Consent for Release of Confidential Information” form, a student gives permission for the release of information. Information will not be released without consent unless federal or state law requires it.
- By signing a “Consent for Release of Confidential Information to Parents and/or Guardian” form, a student gives permission to the counselors for students with disabilities to share information with the student’s parents and/or guardian.