Frequently Asked Questions about Registrar’s Office

Does Alfred State allow cross registration at any other colleges?

Yes, full-time, matriculated students can cross register for courses at certain participating colleges for courses not available at Alfred State. Cross registration is only allowed for the fall and spring semesters. Tuition is not assessed but students must pay any fees required by the other school.

How do I access BannerWeb?
  1. In Banner Webclick Continue, then click on: Enter Secure Area
  2. Login: Enter your Social Security Number - e.g., 999999999 - or your Alfred State Student ID Number (begins with 800), and your login PIN.

First Time Users

Login to Banner Web using your student ID #, which begins with 800. If you do not know this, you can use your SS#. Your student ID # and initial PIN will be sent to you after applying to Alfred State. It will be mailed to the address listed on your application.

After you enter your user ID and PIN, you will be asked to create a new login PIN (six characters, alpha, numeric digits, or a combination of both.) This screen will ask you to re-enter your initial PIN (which is randomly generated) and then enter your new six-character PIN, and to verify your new PIN. Click on Login.

Returning Users

Use the login PIN number you created the first time you used the system. If you have forgotten your PIN, enter your User ID (Social Security # or your 800 Student Number), and click on Forgot Pin. Your self-established hint question will appear. When you answer this question correctly, Banner Web will allow you to reset your PIN. Please remember your response to your hint question is case sensitive.

NOTE: WHEN CREATING YOUR NEW LOGIN PIN, BE SURE TO MAKE IT: 1) easy to remember, and 2) a six-character alpha-numeric PIN. The feature requiring you to submit a self-established hint question and answer will assist you if you forget your PIN in the future.

How do I change my major?

In order for an applicant to change his or her major, he/she should contact the Admissions Office in writing to request a curriculum change. The application will then be reviewed, and the student will be notified of the decision. Continuing students who wish to change their majors must see their advisers and complete paperwork with the academic department chairs. Per academic regulations, such changes must be processed by the end of the fourth week of classes for the current semester. Changes after the fourth week will be effective for the subsequent semester depending on the student's academic standing.

How do I find out who my student adviser is once I have been accepted?

Approximately one month before classes start, a letter will be sent to you indicating who your adviser is and where his/her office is located.

What do I do if I feel that I am familiar with the course material for a particular class and do not wish to take it?

This is called challenging a course and you must be a matriculated student in order to do so. If you have already earned a grade in the particular course or are currently registered in the course, you cannot challenge it. You can see if a course can be challenged by contacting the department chair of that particular academic area. If they agree to process the challenge, you must take and pass an exam.  Various fees will apply.

What is the average required for the Dean's List?

The Grade Point Average (GPA) required for both Alfred and Wellsville campuses is 3.5.

Am I allowed to audit a course at Alfred State College, i.e., take a course without receiving credit or a grade?

You may audit a course with permission from the instructor of the course. If you are a current student or over age 60, you will not be charged any tuition. If you are not enrolled as a student at ASC, you will have to pay a non-refundable fee at the time of registration. Auditors will not receive college credit for audited courses and cannot use these courses toward financial aid eligibility. Further information is available <-- LINK NEEDED -->

How do I get my AP/CLEP credits evaluated at Alfred State College?

You must contact AP/CLEP and request an official transcript be sent to the Student Records and Financial Services Office, Alfred State College, Alfred, NY 14802. Once we receive your official transcript, the Transfer Office will notify you via e-mail of the credits which were transferred.

How do I notify Alfred State College if I have a change in my address and/or phone number?

Students can access and update their own personal information by selecting the Personal Information Menu after logging in to the secure area of BannerWeb for Students. Changes can also be submitted to the Student Records and Financial Services Office by printing and completing the Student Data Change Form.

How do I notify the college that I am eligible for the GI Montgomery bill?

Students who are eligible for the GI Montgomery Bill should contact the certifying official in the Student Records and Financial Services Office. Students will have to submit an application for benefits, and where applicable, provide a copy of their discharge papers (DD-214).  Contact your local VA Representative for information on any other benefits you may be eligible for.

How do I obtain a copy of my Alfred State transcript?

Your academic transcript is composed of all credit-bearing coursework you attempted or completed at Alfred State as well as any degree(s) conferred. If you plan to attend another college after leaving Alfred, or if you are a high school student applying to colleges other than Alfred State, do not forget to submit a signed request to have your transcript sent to your new college.

Request Your Transcript Using BannerWeb

If you were enrolled in 1974 or later, you may request your transcript using your BannerWeb account (click on Continue, then click on Enter Secure Area). Log into your account, select Student Services and Financial Aid, select Student Record, and then select Request Printed/Official Transcript. Use the look up feature to select the institution you wish to send your transcript to, OR click on Continue to enter the name and address of the recipient yourself. Be sure to select submit when you are done. You may also view the status of your transcript requests. Your transcript will be printed on the next business day if you have requested that it be sent immediately. The Student Records and Financial Services Office will seal and mail the transcript at that time.

Request Your Transcript from the Student Records and Financial Services Office

If you are unable to request your official transcripts using BannerWeb, you may request your transcript by going to the Student Records and Financial Services Office or you can print and fill out a Transcript Request Form to mail to the Student Records and Financial Services Office. Also, you can mail or fax a signed letter requesting that the Student Records and Financial Services Office send your transcript. We do not accept any phone or e-mail requests due to security considerations. There is NO FEE for this service.

Mail your request to:

Alfred State
Attention: Student Records and Financial Services Office
10 Upper College Drive
Alfred, NY 14802

Our fax number is (607) 587-3287.

If you mail or fax your request, the following information is required:

  1. Name (include maiden name if married)
  2. Social security number
  3. Mailing address and phone number where you can be reached in case we have any questions in processing your request
  4. Years you attended Alfred State
  5. Address or the fax number where your transcript is to be sent
  6. Your written signature

Be aware that faxed transcripts are generally considered "unofficial". Usually it takes about 2 - 3 working days for your request to be processed. Please allow two weeks to process your requests during registration and final grade periods.

If you want final grades for the semester you are currently enrolled in to be included, you must note to have the transcript sent at the end of the semester. Requests for FINAL transcripts can be made any time prior to the end of the current semester.

Remember - The Student Records and Financial Services Office will not send transcripts without the student's signature each time one is requested. Also, the Student Records and Financial Services Office cannot release copies of a student's transcripts from other institutions. Students must request these directly from the schools they have attended. You may obtain/print unofficial copies of your transcript from BannerWeb.

Note - If you have any financial obligations with Alfred State or you have not returned all equipment or supplies borrowed from the College, such as library books, athletic equipment, etc., your transcripts will be held until these obligations have been cleared.

How do I track the progress that I am making towards fulfilling my degree requirements?

Degree evaluations can be viewed online through the secure area of BannerWeb for students. Click on Student Services/Financial Aid, then on Student Records and then Degree Evaluation. Any questions concerning your academic progress should be directed to your adviser or department chairperson.

I have AP/CLEP credits. Will these be accepted at Alfred State College?

Yes, we do accept most AP/CLEP credits. Use the links below for a list of acceptable courses with required grades.

I lost my diploma, how do I have it replaced?

You must send a signed letter requesting a replacement diploma and include a fee of $25 made payable to SUNY Alfred College.  Please allow 4-6 weeks for receipt of the diploma as we have to special order these.

If I have attended another college, can I transfer my credits to Alfred State?

In many cases, students are able to transfer credits. You are expected to provide an official transcript from any prior college attendance. This transcript will be evaluated by personnel from the Student Records and Financial Services Office and academic department chairs as appropriate. Information will be provided as to what credits transfer. Please refer to our online transfer manual.

Is a physical examination required?

A physical examination is required for a student to participate in final registration. If the student has not submitted the health form (which will be sent in the acceptance folder) he/she will not be allowed to register. It is strongly recommend that the student get his/her physical examination. If the student loses the health form, have him/her contact the Admissions Office at (607) 587‑4215 or 1-800-4-ALFRED.

Once I have enough credits to graduate, do I have to notify the college or do they automatically issue a diploma?

Students who are ready to graduate must apply online using Banner Web for Students to show their intent to graduate.

What if I decide that I want to switch to a different major during my studies and does it cost anything to do this?

If you wish to switch to a different major during your course of study and prior to applying for graduation, you can do so by processing a curriculum change form with both your current department chair and your anticipated department chair. There is no fee for this; however, check with the Student Records and Financial Services Office for possible ramifications on your financial aid. Also, per academic regulations, such changes must be processed by the end of the fourth week of classes for the current semester. Changes after the fourth week will be effective for the subsequent semester depending on the student's academic standing.

What if I enroll in a class and later realize that I don’t like the class or am doing poorly in the class?

You will be able to drop a class during a semester per academic regulations and by dates on the academic calendar. Depending when the class is dropped, a fee may be charged and your financial aid may be affected. Contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office for further information.

What if I have to interrupt my studies in the middle of a semester?

Students may withdraw or take a leave of absence before the end of an academic term as long as they do so according to academic regulations and by the dates on the academic calendar. Contact your department representative to initiate this process. After 30 instructional days, grades of G (withdrew passing) or H (withdrew failing) will be issued for the semester. Should you have questions on how this will affect your financial aid, or for questions regarding your bill, liability/refund, contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office.

How do I access my grades on BannerWeb?

Final Grade Reports for registered students will be available by going online to BannerWeb. Students wishing to review their grades and/or print out hard copies of them must use this system, as grades will not be distributed or mailed to their homes by the Student Records and Financial Services Office. Grades will generally be available online the day after grades are due from the faculty.

Access Your Grades on BannerWeb

  • Go to BannerWeb.
  • Select Continue.
  • Select Enter Secure Area.
  • User ID: Enter your social security number or 800#.
  • Enter your PIN.  If you forgot your PIN, you may contact the Help Desk (607) 587-HELP.
  • Select Student Services & Financial Aid.
  • Select Student Record.
  • You can look up midterm or final grades by semester.
How do I obtain enrollment verification?

If you are in need of enrollment verification (different than your academic transcript), you may complete and return the verification of enrollment form. Enrollment verification only provides date(s) of the term(s) the student attended or is attending, and will show whether or not the student was/is full-time or part-time.