Frequently Asked Questions

How do I visit Canada or Mexico?

You must obtain a visitor visa in advance unless you are from Japan; you must also see your designated school official.

How can I have my family join me in America if I have a F-1 visa?

They must go to the Consulate or Embassy and obtain a visitor's visa.

What is SEVIS?

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System- It is the tracking system used by the Bureau of Immigration and Customs and Enforcement under the Department of Homeland Security.  The Designated School Official is the local agent to keep track of the student.  This all helps you keep your status legal.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen and whom do I contact?

File a police report and notify your Designated School Official.

What programs do you offer?

Alfred State College offers over 70 academic majors in six different categories.  These include majors within the agriculture, applied technology, business, engineering technology, health related, and liberal arts and sciences areas.

What degrees are available?

Alfred State awards degrees in Associate in Applied Science (AAS), Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Arts (AA), Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of Science (BS), and Bachelor of Technology (BTech). Certificate programs are also available. Learn more about academic degrees at Alfred State College.

Where are you located? How many students do you have?

Alfred State is located in the village of Alfred, New York, in rural western New York State. The village of Alfred is a small, safe town with a permanent population of 2,000 people. We are located in the foothills of the Alleghany Mountains in Alfred, New York. The community is peaceful and the people are very friendly and helpful to students. Another school, Alfred University, is also located in the village. The college is about 300 miles (482 kilometers) west of New York City, 90 miles (144 kilometers) southeast of Buffalo, New York, and 70 miles (112 kilometers) south of Rochester, New York. Learn more about the area.

How many international students study at Alfred State?

Approximately 55 international students study at Alfred State each semester. Currently, these students are from 10 countries. Alfred State has a total student population of 3,700 students. This size allows for small class sizes (average of 20 students per class) and the opportunity for students to work closely with faculty members.

What is the cost for international students? Is financial aid available?

Costs can be found on our international student tuition and costs page. These costs do not include tools or a laptop computer that are requirements for some majors. Other than scholarships, financial aid is not available for international students.

Do you offer scholarships for international students?

Two scholarships are automatically awarded to international students who qualify. An application is not necessary for these scholarships. These scholarships are only available to students beginning their studies in August. Learn more about the international student scholarships.

What do I need to do to apply to Alfred State? When will I know if I'm accepted?

International students interested in being considered for admission should complete the four-part international student application.  In addition to the completed application, official academic and financial documentation is required.  Unless the student's native language is English, the TOEFL exam is also required. Results from the IELTS or STEP EIKEN exam may be substituted for the TOEFL exam. Entrance requirements vary by major, but most require a solid background in math and science.

Once completed application materials have arrived at Alfred State, a decision regarding admission will be made within two weeks.

Is the student application available online?

You can download the application from our International Student Application Process page. This page includes instructions and an application checklist.

Do I need to take the TOEFL exam? Do I need to take the SATs?

The TOEFL exam is required for all international students except those whose native language is English.  The minimum TOEFL score required is 500 on the paper exam (61 on the Internet-based exam).  Be sure and request that an official score report be sent to Alfred State.  The college's code number is 2522. Results from the IELTS exam may be substituted for the TOEFL exam. The SAT is required for baccalaureate level programs and for scholarship consideration.

When is the application deadline?

If you are interested in beginning your studies in August, completed application materials should arrive in the Alfred State Admissions Office by May 15. If you are interested in beginning at Alfred State in January, completed application materials should be in by Oct. 15. (If you are applying from a country that requires additional background review, May 1 and Oct. 1 should be the latest date to submit application materials.)

Do you accept transfer students? Can I get transfer credit?

Yes, Alfred State does accept transfer students who have at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale from previous college or university coursework. Please note that an official transcript is required before an admission decision will be made. In order to be evaluated for transfer credit, descriptions for all courses taken (in English) must also be provided. In addition, it is strongly recommended that students provide a course-by-course credential evaluation completed by an approved credential evaluation service. See our international transfer students page for further details.

Is there housing available on campus?

Yes, 13 residence halls are available on campus and housing is guaranteed for all students. The residence halls are open to international students continually from the beginning of classes until the end of the academic year at no additional cost. Specially designated areas allow for this extended stay. Students are required to live on campus unless they have an approved housing waiver. Any requests to live off campus should be directed to the Residential Life Office.

Is there storage available for returning students?

Yes, contact the Designated School Official in the International Education Office for further details.

Is there assistance to and from the airport?

Yes there is assistance available. Contact your Designated School Official in the International Education Office for further details.

How much does storage or airport shuttle service cost?

There is no cost assessed; however, your Designated School Official must be notified in advance.

How close is the nearest airport?

The nearest airport is the Greater Rochester International Airport. The airport is located 70 miles (112 kilometers) north of Alfred on Interstate 390.

Am I allowed to stay in the residence halls a little while longer during a break?

F1 students may stay from  August through May without any additional charges. However, you must notify the Designated School Official of your intentions and comply with Residential Life policies.

Whom do I inform if I am staying for summer school?

You must inform the International Student Services Office along with Residential Life to make arrangements.

Is there a fee for staying in residence halls for summer school students?

Yes, $100 per week.

Can I eat in the dining hall during the summer? All on-campus dining facilities are closed in the summer.
Do I need insurance? How long is it good for?

Yes, health insurance for F1 students is mandated by SUNY. There are two periods for health insurance coverage: Aug. 15 - Jan. 15 and Jan. - Aug. 15.