Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions

Are letters of recommendation or a personal essay required for admission?

Letters of recommendation and a personal essay are recommended if there is additional information you would like to share or extenuating circumstances which may have affected your academic background. At times the Admissions Office may ask for additional information including letters of recommendation and a personal essay.

Are SAT or ACT scores required for admission?

SAT or ACT scores are required for students applying for a baccalaureate-level program. On the SAT exam we look for a 1000 combined score on the Math and Critical Reading section. On the ACT exam we look for a composite score of 21 or better. At this time we are not looking at the writing portion of the SAT or ACT for admission purposes. We do not require students to take any SAT subject tests. Students applying for an associate-level program are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores. However we encourage all students to submit one or both of these standardized test scores.

Students who wish to be considered for some scholarships and intercollegiate sports must also submit SAT/ACT scores.

Students wishing to be considered for the Bachelor of Architecture program are recommended to have a SAT score of 1100 (Critical Reading and Math) or an ACT composite score of a 24.

Are there scholarships available? How do I apply?

There are many scholarships available. Scholarships are based on academic merit. The consideration process for scholarships varies. Some scholarships will require a separate application or additional information. There are other scholarships available which will be considered as part of the application process. For further information: Scholarships.

Does Alfred State College allow cross registration at any other colleges?

Yes, full-time, matriculated students can cross register for courses at certain participating colleges for courses not available at Alfred State College. Cross registration is only allowed for the fall and spring semesters. Tuition is not assessed but students must pay any fees required by the visited school.

How are activities/leadership roles from high school considered in the admissions process?

Information on activities is useful in providing additional information and a more complete picture of the applicant. However, courses taken and grades received are the major factor in determining the admissions decision.

How do I access BannerWeb?
  1. In Banner Web click Continue, then click on: Enter Secure Area
  2. Login: Enter your Social Security Number - e.g., 999999999 - or your Alfred State College Student ID Number, and your login PIN.

First Time Users

The first time you login to Banner Web your user ID will be your 800 ID#. If you do not know this you can use your SS#. The PIN will be sent shortly after applying to the mailing address you provided on your Alfred State application.

After you enter your user ID and PIN, you will be asked to create a new login PIN (six characters, alpha, numeric digits, or a combination of both.) This screen will ask you to re-enter your initial PIN (which is randomly generated) and then enter your new six-character PIN, and to verify your new PIN. Click on Login.

Returning Users

Use the login PIN number you created the first time you used the system. If you have forgotten your PIN, enter your User ID (Social Security # or your 800 Student Number), and click on Forgot Pin. Your self-established hint question will appear. When you answer this question correctly, Banner Web will allow you to reset your PIN. Please remember your response to your hint question is case sensitive.

NOTE: WHEN CREATING YOUR NEW LOGIN PIN, BE SURE TO MAKE IT: 1) easy to remember, and 2) a six-character alpha-numeric PIN. The feature requiring you to submit a self-established hint question and answer will assist you if you forget your PIN in the future.

How many academic programs are there?

Alfred State offers more than 70 academic programs at the baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels. They fall within the areas of Arts and Sciences, Applied Technology, and Management and Engineering Technology.

How old is the school?

The school had its beginning in 1908 as the State School of Agriculture. It was incorporated into the State University of New York in 1948. However, most of the buildings have been constructed since 1960.

Is credit given for Advanced Placement/IB courses or college courses taken in high school?

Yes, we do accept many AP/CLEP/IB and college-level courses. We require an official transcript from AP/CLEP/IB or college transcripts to be sent to the Office of Enrollment Services. The transcript will be evaluated by our transfer adviser. More information on transferring credits to Alfred State can be found on the Transfer Students page.

What academic programs are available?
There are more than 70 different programs available at ASC. For more information check out our Majors and Degrees.
What do I do if I feel that I am familiar with the course material for a particular class and do not wish to take it?

This is called challenging a course and you must be a matriculated student in order to do so. If you have already earned a grade in the particular course or are currently registered in the course, you cannot challenge it. You can see if a course can be challenged by contacting the department chair of that particular academic area. If they agree to process the challenge, you must take and pass an exam.  Various fees will apply.

When should I pay my deposit?

The deposit is due within 30 days after acceptance. It is EXTREMEMLY IMPORTANT that you turn in your deposit in a timely fashion. The deposit will hold your space in your program, a place in the residence halls and will secure any scholarships that you may receive. If you do not pay your deposit by the due date, you may lose your space in the program and any scholarships which you may have qualified for. The deposit is fully refundable up until May 1. To receive a refund of your deposit you must contact the Admissions Office in writing prior to May 1.

Can I have a car?

Students may have a car. There is a $95 vehicle registration fee for all vehicles parked on campus. Vehicles must be registered at the Parking Registration Office, located in the Theta Gamma House. It is not necessary to have a car. Many areas of interest are within a short walking distance. There is a free shuttle service around the campus throughout the day. There is also a free shuttle service to and from the Wellsville campus. Several times during the week there will be shuttle service to Hornell or Wellsville.

How do I apply?

New students will need to fill out the SUNY application. The SUNY application is available at . In order to consider your application for admission, we require an official high school transcript. Students who have completed college-level coursework should also supply official college transcripts. In some cases there may be additional information needed. To check on the status of your application, you can log in to the secure area of BannerWeb.

How do I get my AP/CLEP/IB credits evaluated at Alfred State College?

You must contact AP/CLEP/IB and request an official transcript be sent to the Registrar's Office, Alfred State College, Alfred, NY 14802. Once we receive your official transcript the Transfer Office will notify you via e-mail and by regular mail of the credits which were transferred.

How do I register for an Online, Credit Course?

Register and pay for credit courses using the Continuing Education Registration form* on BannerWeb. *Please note that this process may only be used by non-matriculated students to register for credit courses.

See CCET's Registration Instructions page for more information.  

How will I register for classes once I’m accepted?

All new and transfer students for the fall semester will register for their classes during summer orientation. Students accepted for the spring semester will be registered by the Student Records and Financial Services Office staff. For further information contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office (1-800-4-ALFRED).

I have AP/CLEP/IB credits. Will these be accepted at Alfred State College?

Yes, we do accept most AP/CLEP/IB credits. A list of acceptable AP/CLEP/IB Courses with the required grades can be found in the Transfer Students section of the Alfred State College Web site.

I have attended another college, can I transfer my credits to Alfred State?

In many cases, yes you can. You will be expected to provide an official transcript from any college(s) you have previously attended. This transcript will be evaluated by personnel from the Office of Transfer Services and academic department chairs as appropriate. You will be provided information on what credits will transfer. You can also look at our online Transfer Manual.

Is there a job placement service for graduates?

The Career Development Office helps students develop cover letters and resumes. Mock interview sessions are offered that can be taped for later review. The office also provides job listings in specific curriculums. The staff contacts employers and helps place students in jobs. Lists of starting salaries are available. Alumni are also welcome to use the services.

Is there an honors program available?

There is an honors program. The program includes additional projects and service. Please contact Professor Terry Morgan at for additional information.

Once I have been accepted, how will I know what classes are offered, and how will I register for classes?

All new and transfer students for fall semester will register for their classes during summer orientation. New students for the spring semester as well as all re-admit students will receive information in their acceptance packets on how to register for classes.

What are housing costs?

The room cost is based on the type (standard double, single, or townhouse) and/or size (small, large, or double single) of room. Each residential student is required to get a meal plan which should be figured in when you're doing your budget.

For more information, call 1-800-4-ALFRED and ask to speak to the Student Records and Financial Services Office.

What are the admissions requirements for my program of study?

Entrance requirements vary by program. To check the entrance requirements for your program, see that program's page. full list of programs

What counseling/tutorial services are available to students?

Counseling is provided in Health and Wellness Services, located in TA Parish Hall, where students can go for help with academic stress, college adjustments, relationship conflict, drinking, drug abuse, depression, suicide, and adult problems. Both individual and group sessions are available. All counseling provided is strictly confidential.

The Student Success Center, located in the Student Development Center, provides students with peer tutoring services. These tutors meet with the student when it is mutually convenient. The peer tutors are students who have previously completed the course with a B average or better. Professional tutors are also available.

The Student Success Center assists both learning and physically disabled students. The staff can provide Braille books, taped books, and readers. Additional materials are available for deaf students.

What is the employment/transfer rate?

In our most recent placement survey, 99% of our graduates either found jobs or went on to pursue four-year degrees.

What is the yearly cost of attendance?
Please refer to our tuition and costs page for an updated list of expenses, sorted by New York State resident, non-resident, and part-time online. 
What types of jobs are there on campus?

There are many jobs on-campus, including work study, dining services, and various jobs through Student Activities and Athletics.

What is the difference between a matriculated student and a non-matriculated student?

Matriculated students apply to Alfred State through the admissions process and are accepted into a particular program. Non-matriculated students can take one or more courses through The Center for Community Education and Training without going through the admissions process.

Where can I find out more about parking regulations?

You can learn all about parking by reading our parking regulations available online and/or by visiting the University Police Department, which is open 24 hours per day.