How to Earn Points
Residents earn points for their halls by participating in the events, programs, and activities listed below. With so many point opportunities, everyone can contribute in some way! Participation in events and activities is tracked through sign-in forms, so be sure to sign in with your name, email, and residence hall to get credit for participating.
We regularly update the list of scoring opportunities over the semester. If you would like an event, activity, or program you are organizing to be considered for Pioneer Cup points, please complete the Pioneer Cup Event Application Form at least a week before the event is scheduled to take place.
You can earn Pioneer Cup points by participating in the events and activities shown on this calendar. Like us on Facebook  to get announcements about upcoming Pioneer Cup events.
- Complete any level within the Emerging Pioneers Leadership Program *
- Participate in intramural sports *
- Participate on an athletic team 
- Hold executive office in a student organization or hall council*
One time activities
- Submit an essay for the National Student Day Contest  (due Oct. 17)
- Enter a photo in the Civic Engagement photo contest 
* Starred items are worth double!
How Scores Are Calculated
Scoring is simple! Residence halls are awarded points based on the percentage of their residents that complete the actions listed above. For example, if 20 percent of residents attend one of the events, the residence hall would earn 20 points. Items that are labeled with a star above count double, which means 20 percent participation would earn 40 points!
In addition, the Steering Committee will be offering a variety of special bonus opportunities during the year. These include:
- Move-in day recycling – residence halls that effectively keep cardboard out of their dumpsters will receive 25 bonus points!
- H2Olympics – residence halls that reduce their water consumption during the H2Olympics competition period (Nov. 1 - Nov. 15) will earn a bonus point for each percentage of reduction (e.g. a 2% reduction in water consumption earns 2 bonus points).
- Box Tops For Education Collection – the residence hall that collects the most Box Tops for Education per resident during the collection drive (March 31 - April 4) will receive 5 bonus points! Other residence halls will receive partial points based the number box tops per resident they collect as a percentage of the number collected by the winner (e.g. a residence hall that collects half as many box tops per resident as the winner will earn 2.5 bonus points).
- Mack Attack Against Hunger – the residence hall that donates the most food items per resident during the spring collection drive will receive 5 bonus points! Other residence halls will receive partial points based the number food items per resident they collect as a percentage of the number collected by the winner (e.g. a residence hall that collects half as many food items per resident as the winner will earn 2.5 bonus points).