Get a jump on your college experience from your first day on campus by joining one of these unique experiences!
You have the opportunity to become a member of one of our Living and Learning Communities (LLC) and take the knowledge you are learning in the classroom and connect it with experiences outside the classroom. This will make you better prepared to tackle your college experience than other students!
You can choose from one of our four living and learning communities:
- You will be enrolled in a new course in the architecture programs called Intro to Design . This course, taught by the department chair, Heinrich Hermann, PhD, will be a strong foundation course for your architectural career.
- Many lectures will be given from architects and educators from around the globe. These lectures will be mandatory for all LLC participants and will give you a unique look into to the world of architecture and design.
- Six lectures will also be held in Peet Hall for LLC participants throughout the semester from Alfred State faculty and invited guests on varying topics.
Healthy Lifestyle Community LLC
This is an opportunity for like-minded students to participate in fitness, nutrition, and stress management activities while living in Shults Hall.
- You will be enrolled in two courses in the Fall semester, Leadership Topics I (a one credit course that takes place on Wednesday evenings) and English Composition (a three credit course required for all majors), and two courses in the Spring semester, Leadership Topics II and an English Literature course, where you will be learning concepts such as organization, leadership, planning, and sustainability.
- You and a group of 27 other students will take these courses together and live together in Burdick Hall along with a member of our faculty, Assistant Professor Timothy Piotrowski.
- You will participate in ‘real life’ experiences that will connect with what you are learning in the classroom.
- Open to first-year students who are in a baccalaureate- or associate-degree-program in the School of Architecture, Management, and Engineering Technology or School of Arts and Sciences (students in a Wellsville campus curriculum  cannot apply for the Leadership LLC.)
Freshman nursing students have the opportunity to be a part of a community dedicated to helping new nursing students transition into the nursing curriculum. Besides participating in a cohort seminar led by nursing faculty within their residence halls, this LLC provides a quiet atmosphere and enhanced opportunities to learn from and connect with their faculty.
Why should I join an LLC?
- Students in an LLC have higher GPAs and are more likely to succeed in college settings.
- LLC courses will be taught right in Burdick or Peet Halls, transforming a residential setting into an active, supportive, and exciting place to live and learn.
- Build a strong network/support system of peers with common goals and interests.
- Faculty interaction outside of the classroom is directly linked to student retention, enhanced learning, and increased social and intellectual development.
- Become more familiar with the topic of sustainability.
- Take part in special events, speakers, and retreats.
- No extra fee!
How do I join an LLC?
If you are interested in living in one of these communities, click on the appropriate LLC in question #2 on the Housing Preference Survey. If you have already submitted your housing application, please contact the Residential Life Office by email: email@example.com  and ask that your completed housing preference survey be changed to reflect your desire to live in an LLC.
If you have any questions, or need more information, please contact:
For Residential Inquiries:
Matthew J. Ryan
Senior Director of Residential Services
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 
For Architecture LLC Inquiries:
Professor, Architecture and Design
Email: email@example.com 
For Healthy Lifestyle Community LLC Inquiries:
Office of College Housing
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 
For Leadership LLC Inquiries:
Timothy Piotrowski, AIA, LEED AP
Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Technology
Email: email@example.com 
For Nursing LLC Inquiries:
Assistant Professor, Nursing
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org