1902 - Non-credit course in agriculture established at Alfred University.
1908 - Gov. Charles Evans Hughes signs bill on May 8 creating the NYS School of Agriculture at Alfred University. Dr. Ora Sherman Morgan serves as the first director, 1908-11.
1909 - Classes begin Oct. 18 with an enrollment of 36 men and 10 women, taught by four faculty members. Construction of Agriculture Hall is begun.
1910 - First classes held in Agriculture Hall on Jan. 24. Enrollment increases to 92 men and 30 women. Dairy barn and milk house constructed.
1912 - William J. Wright becomes the second director, 1912-18.
1919 - Dr. Carl Edwin Ladd becomes the third director, 1919-20.
1920 - Archie E. Champlin becomes the fourth director, 1920-36. A Rural Teacher Training Course is established. Gamma Theta Gamma fraternity is organized exclusively for ag students in March.
1926-7 - Only 59 students are enrolled, and there is no appropriation for the school in the governor's budget. Director Champlin, Professors George and Lloyd Robinson, and D. Sherman Burdick work to restore funding and keep the school alive.
1936 - Paul B. Orvis becomes the fifth director, 1936-60.
1937 - By legislative action the school becomes the NYS Technical Institute at Alfred. Only high school graduates are admitted.
1939 - The first independent yearbook, The Argosy, is published.
1940 - Enrollment reaches 334. The WPA constructs an athletic field on the hill west of Main Street-the first property the Institute owns in this area.
1941 - By legislative action, the school becomes the NYS Agricultural and Technical Institute at Alfred.
1945 - Eighty acres of land are purchased for the college farm. Military veterans begin attending the college in large numbers.
1946 - The Business Division is organized.
1947 - The Division of General Education is formed. Temporary buildings are erected to handle the increased student enrollment of more than 600. Federal prefabs are secured for student housing, known as Saxon Heights or "Diaper Hill." Twenty-seven senior girls head for New York City for the college's first civic trip.
1948 - SUNY (State University of New York) is created, and the college becomes one of the original units.
1945 - The official name of the college is now The State University Agricultural and Technical Institute at Alfred. The last administrative tie to Alfred University is severed. The gymnasium is built on the west campus.
1951 - The associate in applied science (AAS) degree is conferred for the first time. The college receives its first accreditation from the Middle Atlantic States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
1952 - Total separation from Alfred University is achieved in all student areas. Anthony Cappadonia is hired as music director. The Industrial Laboratory Building is begun.
1953 - The first issue of Tor Echo appears on Sept. 21. NYS Gov. Thomas E. Dewey dedicates the new Industrial Building on Sept. 30. Kezia and MacKenzie dormitories for women are constructed by the Benevolent Association.
1954 - The first Statonian yearbook is published. Student Richard Fote wins a $10 prize when his lyrics and music are selected as the college's official alma mater.
1956 - The 150-acre Saunders farm is purchased for $50,000 as a potential site for the proposed new west side campus.
1960 - A $250,000 fire destroys the 50-year-old dairy barn on Oct. 2. Director Orvis leaves after being appointed executive dean for state two-year colleges.
1961 - Walter C. Hinkle becomes the sixth president, 1960-64. The first summer school is held. The Student Union opens in September. The Alumni Association is incorporated.
1962 - The Lake Lodge and Recreation Area, built for $80,000 with Student Association funds, opens in January.
1963 - The Divisions of Student Academic Services, Student Personnel Services, and Agriculture Technology are formed. SUNY begins charging tuition at $400 per year.
1964 - President Hinkle dies suddenly on May 2. Dr. David H. Huntington becomes the seventh president, 1965-86. The name of the college becomes the Agricultural and Technical College at Alfred. The data processing curriculum is the first to be offered by a two-year college in the state.
1965 - The Administration and Library buildings are occupied. Library moving day occurred Nov. 15 when 22,000 books were moved from Agricultural Hall to the new library. The Student Association buys a 30-acre hill opposite the farm building complex for a t-bar ski slope. WVAT begins broadcasting in January. The College Council approves plans for a vocational program in Wellsville.
1966 - The School of Vocational Studies, under the direction of Don Jones, opens on Oct. 18 in Wellsville on the site of the old Sinclair Refinery plant with an initial enrollment of 124 students and 10 faculty. The Central Dining Hall and the Service Buildings are occupied in May and June. A security force is formed with Wilbur Rounds as head.
1967 - The first proposal for a bachelor of technology (BTech) degree is introduced. The first Horticulture Open House is held in March. A physical education requirement is established.
1968 - The main campus college complex includes 68 buildings. Wellsville's enrollment is approaching 500, and its first graduation is held in June. The EOP program is begun. A pub is located on campus.
1969 - The Engineering Building is occupied in January. The Wellsville campus becomes a permanent part of Alfred State College.
1970 - NYS Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller speaks at the Academic Convocation on April 27 and dedicates Shults Hall and the Hinkle Memorial Library. Five students meet with President Nixon in Washington. FTE enrollment is 4,043.
1971 - MacKenzie and Main Gate residence halls are occupied, as is the Agriculture Science Building. Elaine Hritz completes work on The First 60 Years, a history of the college.
1972 - The Wellsville campus suffers severe damage from flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes in June.
1973 - The Walter C. Hinkle Memorial Bell Tower is dedicated on Oct. 13. Women have sports teams for the first time in swimming and basketball. Most rules and regulations controlling student life are discontinued.
1974 - The college shifts from a quarter to a semester calendar in the fall.
1976 - The Cattaraugus County Extension Center in Olean is discontinued. A branch office of Empire State College is established.
1977 - The former Gamma Theta Gamma house is renamed "Victorian House."
1978 - The Student Union building is now called the Pioneer Center.
1983 - The college observes its Diamond Jubilee Celebration.
1985 - An agreement is reached with SUNY Binghamton to establish an extension site at Alfred for a bachelor of technology program in electrical engineering technology.
1986 - Dr. John O. Hunter becomes the eighth president, 1986-93.
1987 - Six students receive the bachelor of technology degree at commencement through partnership with SUNY Binghamton.
1988 - President Hunter, Dr. James Thompson, and Lyman Savory visit El Salvador in June to investigate establishing a twin College of Technology.
1991 - An amendment to the SUNY Master Plan authorizes Alfred to confer the bachelor of technology degree.
1992 - Nine ITCA (Institute of Technology of Central America) faculty members spend the spring semester at Alfred, while 16 consultants from Alfred spend a major portion of the summer advising their Salvadoran colleagues at ITCA.
1993 - Dr. William D. Rezak becomes the ninth president, 1993-2003. The Student Development Center is occupied in January. The old, 20-story Sinclair Oil Refinery smokestack on the Wellsville campus is demolished Oct. 30.
1994 - An intercollegiate football team is fielded for the first time in the fall.
1996 - Graduates in engineering technology now can earn bachelor of science degrees.
1997 - The former Tech Lanes bowling alley is now The Main Attraction. Associate degrees are offered in more than 70 programs; baccalaureate degrees are offered in five engineering technology programs.
1998 - North and Wood Halls are demolished.
2003 - The 37th and last Flower and Garden show is held in April. Dr. Uma G. Gupta becomes the 10th president, 2003-06.
2005 - Three groups of faculty, staff, and students went to New Orleans during 2005-06 to help with the recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina.
2006 - Groundbreaking is held for the townhouse complex in the spring. Construction begins on the renovation of the Central Dining Hall. Dr. John B. Clark is appointed interim president, beginning July 1.
2007-Townhouses are occupied. ASC celebrates its centennial with a new history book, pictorial displays, and celebratory events.