This program provides instruction in the skills required by heavy equipment operators for the light construction and heavy highway industries. Instruction is provided in the theory connected with heavy equipment operations as well as grades, soils, blueprint reading, safety, and supervision. Students spend approximately 25 percent of the lab time operating equipment; the balance of the lab time is spent on equipment inspection, maintenance, grades, lot layout, operation support, and estimating.
Programs leading to an AOS degree are hands-on programs and do not include liberal arts and sciences courses. Offered at the School of Applied Technology Campus in Wellsville, heavy equipment operations is geared toward a person who would like to enter the heavy equipment operation industry following graduation.
Classes and labs are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. each day with a break for lunch. Each morning, one or two hours are devoted to class lectures on subjects specific to the heavy equipment operation trade. The classroom training is then applied in a hands-on laboratory setting, or off campus at a construction site.
- Select the correct piece of equipment and demonstrate the proper use, for an earth moving or excavation project.
- Select and use the necessary PPE for a given construction project.
- Demonstrate the proper set up and use of various types of survey equipment.
- Read and interpret blueprints.
- Accurately estimate materials for a project.
- Demonstrate essential problem solving and supervisory skills.
- Perform common mathematical calculations.
- Demonstrate how to excavate to meet construction and OSHA standards, based on the soil type.
- Safely operate various equipment utilized in the construction industry.
- Perform computer-based research and communication.
Students will be accepted for the heavy equipment operations program based on the strength of their application. Criteria for consideration will include high school average, regents exam scores (if a New York State student), grades in related course work, results of standardized tests (if available), and additional information provided through letters of recommendation, a personal essay indicating career goals, and a resume. Initial application review will begin on Nov. 1.
Applicants in the heavy equipment operations program must meet the following physical requirements:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds to shoulder height.
- Must be able to perform safely in the laboratory.
- Must be able to communicate orally with a person 20 feet away.
- Must be able to climb a ladder and/or able to climb, un-aided, onto and off of equipment using three points of contact.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to visually read from a blueprint or drawing.
- Must be able to hear a backup warning alarm.
On or off campus construction sites will be used for hands on instruction.
A student must successfully complete all courses in the prescribed four-semester program and earn a minimum cumulative index of 2.0, which is equivalent to a "C" average.
- Town, Village, County Department of Public Works
- NYS Department of Transportation
- Highway and Heavy Construction Companies
- Mining Companies
- Logging Companies
Alfred State heavy equipment operations graduates may enter directly into the technology management BBA degree program.
|BLCT ||1053 ||Safety & Identification of Heavy Equip.||3|
|BLCT ||1044 ||Blueprint Reading Grades||4|
|BLCT ||1016 ||Operations-Part I||6|
|BLCT ||1052 ||Soils-Part I||2|
|BLCT ||1043 ||Intro to Earth Moving||3|
|BLCT ||2023 ||Equipment Safety-Part II||3|
|BLCT ||2034 ||Grades & Blueprint Reading II||4|
|BLCT ||2033 ||Equipment Preventive Maintenance||3|
|BLCT ||2036 ||Operations-Part II||6|
|BLCT ||2092 ||Soils-Part II||2|
|BLCT ||3003 ||Advanced Equipment Safety||3|
|BLCT ||3002 ||Blueprint Reading-Part III||2|
|BLCT ||3005 ||Operations-Part III||5|
|BLCT ||3013 ||Paving-Part I||3|
|BLCT ||3012 ||Soils-Part III||2|
|BLCT ||3023 ||Supervision-Part I||3|
|BLCT ||4002 ||Below Grade Construction (Heavy Highway)||2|
|BLCT ||4012 ||Earth Moving (Heavy Highway)||2|
|BLCT ||4022 ||Finish Operations||2|
|BLCT ||4032 ||Finishing and Grading||2|
|BLCT ||4004 ||Operations-Part IV||4|
|BLCT ||4003 ||Paving-Part II||3|
|BLCT ||4013 ||Supervision-Part II||3|
|Responding to Survey||8 (67%)||15 (83%)||14 (78%)|
|Employed||8 (100%)||13 (87%)||14 (100%)|
|Employed in Field||8 (100%)||12 (92%)||14 (100%)|
|Unemployed & Seeking Employment||--||--||--|
|Unemployed & Not Seeking Employment||--||--||--|
$20,000 - $29,999 (1)
Prefer not to disclose (13)