To meet the demand for skilled bakers, the program incorporates 1,350 hours of hands-on production experience, of which approximately 80 percent is concentrated in bakery training. The classroom includes detailed instruction in methods, ingredients, measurements, controls, equipment, and merchandising. The production for breakfast, lunch, and dinner requirements are built into one daily schedule.
- Interpret and comply with prevailing food safety regulations as demonstrated by successful certification.
- Create products from complex formulas.
- Successfully vie for employment in the food service industry.
- Competently utilize typical bakery equipment.
- Establish product and plate cost for bakery menu items.
- Employ fundamentals in the layout and design of a bakery operation.
Recommended: In-depth knowledge of basic math, reading, and writing skills.
Work Experience Requirements
The department requires that all students obtain an approved job in the baking industry for a minimum of 320 hours of employment during the summer between the first and second years of the program. This is to enhance skill development and improve career advancement after graduation.
In addition to regular college expenses, the student must purchase decorating tips, a probe thermometer, calculator, uniform package, and uniform laundry service from the Alfred State Campus Bookstore. Uniforms may cost approximately $360 - $460 depending on the size ordered. The uniform laundry service is $80 per semester. All culinary arts: baking, production & management students must pay for one meal each day they are in lab; using a meal swipe or paying with cash. If not, they will not be allowed in lab and will receive a zero for that session. It is recommended commuter students purchase a meal plan ; however, they may pay in cash for one meal each day, if they prefer. First semester textbooks cost approximately $500 and approximately $100 each succeeding semester.
Applicants in the culinary arts: baking, production and management program must meet the following physical requirements:
- Perform lab functions while standing on their feet for extended periods of time (up to five hours) daily.
- Be proficient in reading (for guest checks, recipes, and instructional manuals) and mathematics (for recipe conversion, cost control, and calculations associated with food production and service).
- Write with sufficient clarity for communication with faculty, kitchen personnel, and guests.
- Lift 40 pounds from floor to eye level.
- Orally communicate with people six to 10 feet away.
- Visually identify degree of product doneness.
- Walk on a slippery floor while carrying 40 pounds with caution and safety.
- Handle kitchen equipment, including knives, with dexterity and safety.
Member of the American Culinary Federation, the NYS Restaurant Association, the National Restaurant Association, and the National Association of College and University Food Services (NACUFS).
Students may earn sanitation certification from the Educational Foundation of the National Restaurant Association as part of the program.
- Emphasizes high volume, hands-on daily production of standard bakery products
- Special occasion, holiday, and specialty baking using high quality ingredients
- Elegant desserts, flambés
- Highly experienced faculty
- High volume retail-wholesale baking for public and institutions
- State-of-the-art equipment
Alfred State College will grant credit for the Sanitation & Food Safety Course, FS 1084, (4 credit hours) if during the junior or senior year, high school students enroll in the NRA Managerial ServSafe Certification course; pass the Managerial ServSafe NRA Certification Exam and course with a minimum of 80%; have a valid certification card and certificate; and provide documentation prior to the beginning of fall semester classes. The student's school must have an active articulation agreement with Alfred State College's Culinary Arts Program.
A student must successfully complete all courses in the prescribed four-semester program and earn a minimum cumulative index of 2.0, which is equivalent to a "C" average. Note: students must pass 1578 before taking 2489, pass 2478 before taking 3489, and pass 3489 before taking 4488.
- Pastry Chef
- Grocery Store Baker
- Commercial Baker & Mangement
Upon successful completion of this program, students may continue in Alfred State's BBA program in technology management .
Alfred State culinary arts: baking, production and management graduates may enter directly into the technology management BBA degree program.
Those students continuing their education may receive one to two years of transfer credit toward hotel/restaurant management or food mangement programs.
Bakery students begin lab at 7:30 and 8 a.m. depending on their designated duties for the day. Students plan, create and serve baked goods for several areas including fine dining, institutional, and a la carte. Our students also fill orders from customers in the community. The lab ends at 1 p.m. and classes begin. Students attend two lecture classes from 1-3 p.m.
|FDSR ||1084 ||Sanitation & Food Safety||4|
|FDSR ||1153 ||Intro to Baking||3|
|FDSR ||1373 ||Foods, Ingredients & Products||3|
|FDSR ||1578 ||Quantity Food & Baking Lab Unit I||8|
|FDSR ||2043 ||Fund of Nutrition||3|
|FDSR ||2183 ||Purchasing Techniques||3|
|FDSR ||2253 ||Hospitality Cost Control||3|
|FDSR ||2489 ||Quantity Food & Baking Lab Unit II||9|
|FDSR ||3163 ||Furnishing & Equip||3|
|FDSR ||3293 ||Intermediate Baking||3|
|FDSR ||3353 ||Hospitality Personnel Relations I||3|
|FDSR ||3489 ||Baking Lab Unit III||9|
|FDSR ||4043 ||Advanced Baking||3|
|FDSR ||4255 ||Hospitality Personnel Relations II||5|
|FDSR ||4488 ||Baking Lab Unit IV||8|
|FDSR ||4032 ||Facilities Planning & Energy Conservation||2|
|Responding to Survey||10 (100%)||10 (77%)||9 (90%)|
|Employed||4 (40%)||7 (70%)||7 (78%)|
|Employed in Field||4 (100%)||7 (100%)||6 (86%)|
|Transferred||6 (60%)||3 (30%)||2 (22%)|
|Unemployed & Seeking Employment||--||--||--|
|Unemployed & Not Seeking Employment||--||--||--|
$20,000 - $29,999 (2)
Prefer not to disclose (5)