You are hereHome ›
Alfred State - Stevens Tech Preview
Alfred State (1-1) at Stevens Tech (1-1)
Saturday, September 22, 2012 3 p.m.
Alfred State defeated Stevens Tech 49-27 during Homecoming 2011 at Alfred State
Stevens Tech defeated Williamson Trade 49-12
Alfred State lost to Erie CC 30-7
Pioneers Offense: 17 ppg, 131 yards per game (5 rush, 126 pass)
Pioneers Defense: 16.5 ppg, 310 yards per game (149 rush, 161 pass)
Bulldogs Offense: NA
Bulldogs Defense: NA
Players to watch:
Erik Simmons (WR/Elmira, NY) made his debut last week after missing the season opener. The big target caught five passes for 28 yards last week
Pioneer offensive line – The offensive line struggled last weekend vs. Erie CC allowing nine sacks. The lines success will be a key to getting a struggling offense going.
Alonzo Joyner (S/Queens, NY) has recorded 22 tackles during the first two games.
Keegan Phalen (LB/East Aurora, NY) has two interceptions and two sacks in the team’s first two games. He is also handling the punting duties – averaging 37.5 yards in ten attempts.
Shawn Charles (DB/Rochester, NY) accounted for the only score last week when he returned a kickoff 90-yards for a score. The NJCAA DIII 100 m champion is a threat to outrun opponents every time he touches the ball.
Kahlil Brewer (LB) intercepted two passes vs. Williamson Trade last week. He returned one for a score
Austin Cseh (RB/WR) rushed for 141 yards and 23 carries last week. He scored three times.
The Bulldog Defense – forced five turnovers last weekend
- The Bulldog defense was key in their victory last week while the Pioneer offense struggled gaining just 44 yards of offense vs. Erie last week.
- Turnovers have been the turning point in both games thus far for Alfred. Alfred was a +2 in their victory at Hartwick and a -2 in the loss to Erie.
- Special team returns by Shawn Charles and Collin Frazer have accounted for two of the Pioneers five touchdowns on the season
- Alfred leads all-time series 9-1
- Stevens has won back-to-back Seaboard Conference Championships and have won eight titles since 2000.
- The Bulldogs had a coaching change prior to their game last week. Assistant Coach Joe Ganse is now the head coach while Doug Kopp has returned to being an assistant coach.