You are hereHome ›
Two Pioneers Place at Fall Brawl
Two members of the Alfred State College wrestling team placed at the Usinus College Fall Brawl on Saturday. Tyler Peet (Unadilla Valley) was 2nd at 149 lbs. and James Barlow (Wayland Cohocton) was 5th 141.
Peet continued his strong start of the 2011-12 season. He defeated Logan Yox (McDaniel) 8-4 in his first match and then pinned Nate Snyder (West Chester) in 3:30. In the finals, he was forced to forfeit due to an injury.
Barlow rebounded after a first round loss to place in the tourney. He defeated Amanuail Bosko (Stevens Tech) 8-5 and pinned Tim Gainsborg (McDaniel) in 1:22 to advance to the consolation semifinals. Barlow was defeated in the consolation semifinals but bounced back with a pin of Nick DiMuzio (Ursinus) in 2:30.
In the heavyweight competition, Zach Race (Fulton/G Ray Bodley) was 2-2. After falling in his first match he rebounded with a pin of Ethan Richards (Valley Forge) and a 11-6 victory over Jeff Furbish (College of New Jersey).
Five other Pioneers wrestlers earned a victory on the day as well:
- Antony Brown (Bronx/Herbert Lehman) won 6-4 over James McGarry (McDaniel) at 133
- Bill Carmella (Kings Park) won his opening match 5-2 over Ray Ball (Elizabethtown) at 157.
- Josh Simons (Campbell Savona) defeated Torin Lehmann (McDaniel) to earn a consolation victory at 165.
- Matt Sowers (Whitesboro) earned a pin of Chad Turney (Valley Forge) in consolation round action at 184.
- Dondrey Sharrock (Sleepy Hollow) won his opening match at 197 with a 7-5 victory over Dan Brill (College of New Jersey).
The Pioneers return to action on Wednesday when they travel to Mercyhurst North East for a 7 p.m. WNYAC tilt with the Saints.