Ongoing Civic Engagement Opportunities
Signature Co-Curricular Civic Engagement Events Include:
- Alternative Break- Ongoing opportunities to engage in service over fall and spring break. Habitat for Humanity’s Collegiate Challenge is a major partner in this initiative.
- Annual Race for a Cure- 5K run/walk benefiting Roswell Park Cancer Institute held during homecoming weekend.
- Celebrate Service, Celebrate Allegany- Serve together with other college students and residents to meet needs and celebrate community. This event coincides with “Make a Difference Day”- the largest day of service in the nation.
- Disaster Relief Trips- Mobilize to serve communities impacted by catastrophic events. Past trips have been to Louisiana, North Dakota, Central New York, and Long Island New York.
- Earth Week- A series of events and activities designed to enhance awareness and commitment to environmental sustainability.
- Haiti Relief Teams- Annual short-term service trip to partner with Haitians recovering from the devastation of the 2010 earthquake. This is a semester-long fundraising and community-building program resulting in new buildings and support for health care clinics and animal management clinics in Haiti.
- MLK Jr. Dream Week- Week of events which includes education, advocacy, and culminates in a high impact day of service and community building.
- Relay for Life- A community-wide fundraising event to support cancer research, education, advocacy, and service.
- Special Olympics- Support annual track and field events for local youth with intellectual disabilities.
- Take Back The Night- A campaign to raise awareness about sexual violence and abuse while advocating for survivors.
- Tunnel of Oppression- An interactive social justice awareness event.
- Visit the virtual location of student run clubs/organizations and Greek organizations to discover other civic engagement opportunities.