Interlibrary Loan Policies and Procedures
- What is interlibrary loan (ILL)?
- Who can request?
- How to request and ILL
- How long does it take?
- Borrowing period
- More information
The purpose of Interlibrary loan is to provide users with materials that are not readily available from other sources. Interlibrary Loans are transactions in which library materials are made available by one library to another for the use of an individual. Books, periodical articles (in photocopy or fax form) and non-print materials may be requested.
What cannot be requested?
The following types of materials are generally NOT available through interlibrary loan:
- periodical volumes
- books published within the last year
- reference materials
- books on tape/CD
- Music CD recordings
- materials that are considered rare, fragile, or too valuable to lend
- texts or textbooks for Alfred State College courses
- print materials available only from foreign libraries
ILL service is available to students, faculty/staff, alumni, and retired faculty/staff of Alfred State College.
- Check the library's online catalog, to verify that the requested book or audio-visual item is not owned by Hinkle Library.
- Check the full text journals at Hinkle link to see if we have the article.
- Check the catalogs of the Herrick and Scholeslibraries at Alfred University.
- If the item is owned by one of these libraries it may not be requested on ILL.
- Log on to ILLiad and request an item.
- It might take just a few days, or it might take a week or two. The general practice is to allow a minimum of 14 days for the item to arrive.
- When requesting ILL's, you MUST indicate on the form the latest date you can use the materials and if you will accept charges.
- Photocopies or faxes may be kept by the requestor.
- For books and non-print media the loan period and conditions are set by the lending library.
- You can request renewals from your ILLiad account.
- No more than 10 interlibrary loan items can be checked out at one time. Exceptions to this limit are at the discretion of the Intelibrary Loan Department.
- Alfred State does not charge for interlibrary loan. However, many large libraries have to charge. If the only lending library that has the item you want charges to loan the item, you are responsible for paying the fee.
- You are financially responsible for the replacement or repair of materials lost or damaged during use.
- You are responsible for the replacement cost of lost or damaged materials as imposed by the lending library.
- Repeated violation of the Interlibrary Loan service may suspend or terminate your privilege to use the Interlibrary Loan service.
Requests must conform to US Copyright Laws and Guidelines:
- Rule of five: Only five articles from a periodical title published in the last five years may be obtained in any calendar year or Royalty Charges will apply.
- No more than one article in an individual issue of a periodical may be obtained in any calendar year or Royalty Charges will apply.
Contact Jane Vavala by phone: 607-587-4313 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.