AOS Degree – Code #0453
This specialization includes 1,800 hours of practical experience and classroom training applicable to the autobody repair field. Laboratory experience ranges from spot repair, total wreck repair, specialized paint jobs, estimating, and rust repair to frame straightening.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Demonstrate a focused, coherent, organized written report.
- Perform mathematic calculations required for entry-level automotive employment.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply written instructions and specifications relevant to their work environment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and program solving skills to work with sheet metal repair.
- Demonstrate ability to identify different types of frame damage.
- Demonstrate painting skills for B/C and single stage painting.
- Demonstrate the ability to repair frame and structure collision damage.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, evaluate, remove and replace various mechanical components.
DIRECT ENTRY INTO BACCALAUREATE DEGREE PROGRAM
Alfred State autobody repair graduates may enter directly into the technology management BBA degree program.
- Auto Body Repair Specialist
- Automotive Refinisher
- Body Shop Owner
- Frame Straightening Specialist
- Shop Foreman
- Service Manager
- Wheel Alignment Specialist
Employment and transfer rate of 100 percent – 82 percent are employed; 18 percent transferred to continue their education.
Automotive Service Technician
Heavy Equipment: Truck & Diesel Technician
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Applicants in the autobody repair program must meet the following physical requirements:
- Must be able to perform safely in the shop.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds to eye level.
- Must be able to communicate orally with a person six-10 feet away.
- Must be able to visually decipher an oscilloscope monitor and digital/analog meter, and scan tool displays.
- Must have a valid motor vehicle license and be able to drive a standard transmission vehicle.
- Must be able to diagnose mechanical failures that are distinguished audibly.
- Must be able to understand information found in service repair manuals and use diagnostic flow charts.
- Must meet qualifications for a NYS driver’s license.
CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE
Graduates may take Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams. Graduates are also eligible for New York State inspection certification. Students may take the ASE exam for certification in refrigerant recycling & recovery during their senior year.