Five Ways to Work on Your Job Search Over Winter Break
Ahhhh, Winter Break. It is great to be done with finals and have another semester under your belt. While you are taking a break, you can still work on your career/job search for that job after graduation or for your summer internship. Here are five things you can do to progress toward your career and still get some r & r.
- Network, Network, Network! - Without a doubt networking is one of the most important things you can do for your career. What better time to connect with friends and make new ones than during the holidays. Check out this article for even more networking advice.
- Clean Up Your Digital Dirt - As soon as you start applying for jobs/internships, it is crucial that your image is professional. Your image online has to be professional too. Google yourself - if images of beer pong or drunken friends surround you it is time to clean up your image! Read more here.
- Create a Positive Online Image - Get LinkedIn! If you haven't created a professional online image in LinkedIn, now is the perfect time to create one and start building your online network. Here's a great article for tips to creating a great LInkedIn profile.
- Plan on Looking Good - Career Fairs, on-campus interviews and other great opportunities will be happening in the spring. Get your interview attire ready now to bring back to campus. Did you know poor appearance has been listed as the #1 reason for applicants not getting hired? Don't let something this simple hurt your job search. Read this for tips in making the best first impression.
- Take Care of Yourself - You've survived a tough semester - make sure you get the sleep and nutrition that might have been lacking for the past few months or look at this list of ways to improve yourself over winter break.