The following is a tool list for all masonry students. We do not endorse any vendor. We do suggest that you buy good American-made tools which are accurate and dependable to last your lifetime. It is recommended that these tools be insured under the parents' or the student's homeowners' insurance.
Students will be informed at the beginning of each semester as to what textbooks will be required for instruction during that semester. You may visit the Wellsville Campus Store's website at www.alfredstatebookstore.com for prices and ISBN numbers.
A laptop or tablet computer capable of wireless connection to the Internet is required. Shop online.
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- Safety glasses with side shields Z87 (prescription glasses must have Z87 approved side shields)
- YELLOW Hard Hat - type 1 or 2 "G"
- Ear protection (plugs or muffs)
- Dust masks 3M Model N95 for insulation
- Work gloves
- Rain slicker
- Inexpensive plastic parka (cold weather)
- Rubber boots
- 2 pair of Khaki pants
- 16' - 30' push pull tape
- 100' tape measure
- 16-20 oz. smooth-faced trim hammer
- 20 oz. straight claw hammer
- 8 point handsaw
- 2’ level
- 4' Level Starrett MPH 48, StanleyFat Max, Stanley Fat Max Extreme, Stabila 196-2 or equivalent
- Screwdrivers - basic set - Phillips & regular
6" Stanley low angle fully adjustable block plane - Model 12-960
- Set of 4 chisels: 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1"
- Carpenter's tool belt
- 100' chalk box
- Utility knife and blades
- Cat's paw
- Framing square (with rafter tables)
- 2' wrecking bar or wonder bar
- 12-oz. or heavier plumb bob
- 8" adjustable end wrench
- 6” locking C-clamp pliers – without swivel tips
- Aviation snips
- Combination square - 12"
- Mud pan
- Drywall rasp
- Drywall jab saw
- Hacksaw with blades
- Spade drill bits 1/2", 5/8”, 3/4"
- 14" Back saw - 16 pt.
- 18-24" Bar clamp - Quick grip
- Lufkin 6' modular folding rule
9 – 10 ½” narrow heel London style brick trowel forged
- Mason’s line blocks
- 100' braided nylon mason's line
- Brick hammer 18 – 24 oz.
- Brick chisels (one 1" and one 3")
- Barrel or concave Jointer – Masonry ½” x 5/8” Marshalltown, Rose Bon, Kraft or equivalent
- 16" magnesium concrete float
- 8”-10" concrete finishing trowel
- Steel concrete edger
- Workbench brush
- 13-piece set of drill bits with index - 1/16"-1/4" HS
- 2”, 5”, 6", taping knives
- 8", 1o" and 12" finishing knives
- Circular saw 7-1/4" with combination blade
- Cordless drill/driver combo kit with 1/2" hammer drill
- Random orbital sander and assorted grits of compatible sand paper
- Extension cord - grounding type - 50' minimum
- Construction Master 5 or Construction Master Pro calculator
- Architect ruler – must have ¼” scale
- Modular, lockable toolbox system three tiers or more (ex: Milwaukee Packout System or similar)
- 30” Drafting T-square
- 6” Drafting triangle
¼” Scale drafting symbol stencil for floor plans
- 2 padlocks (key or combination)
Students will be informed at the beginning of each semester as to what textbooks will be required for instruction during that semester. You may visit the Wellsville campus bookstore’s website for prices and ISBN numbers.
In addition to the first semester tools, the following are needed:
- Sliding T-bevel, 8"
- 1 pair stair gauges
- Compass Scriber (for carpentry)
- Coping saw
- Counter sink bit for screws
- 10-point hand saw - 20"
- Nail sets - set of four
In addition to the requirements of first two semesters, the following items are needed:
- 2’ brass bound wood level – Stanley, Crick, Stabila
- Sled runner jointer ½” or 5/8” or barrel style
- Masons modular ruler
- Flat Slickers (1/4”, 3/8”, & 5/8”)
- Rake – “roller skate”
- Plastering trowel
- Tool bag, bucket, or box
- Plugging chisel or tuck pointers chisel
- Stone hammer or (2 lb.) sledge + pitching chisel
- Line pins
- Rubber gloves
- Rain suit
- Box of pencils
- Cold chisels (1/2” + 1”)
- Jersey gloves
- Margin trowel
The student will be responsible for the care and safeguarding of his/her and the college's tools and equipment.